What is an MB-17G?

MB-17Gs served as mother ships/launchers for early guided missiles. As a result, they were some of the last B-17s in active service, serving up until the late 1950s. They were used for the development of Felix, Razon and Tarzan guided gliding bombs/missiles. 

I think one survives State-side in a museum but off hand can’t remember which - it’s been converted back to stock WWII condition, however. 

Edited by tomprobert
Typos

7 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

MB-17Gs served as mother ships/launchers for early guided missiles. As a result, they were some of the last B-17s in active service, serving up until the late 1950s. They were used for the development of Felix, Razon and Tarzan guided gliding bombs/missiles. 

I think one survives State-side in a museum JVT off hand can’t remember which - it’s been converted back to stock WWII condition, however. 

Tom,

This makes sense: thanks for the info. However I can confirm that no MB-17Gs existed after 1953. Some were redesignated as QB-17Gs following conversion to drone configuration while others became TB-17Gs, presumably less the weapons carriage items. The last B-17s in service were QB-17N drones and DB-17P directors; earlier conversions had been designated QB-17G or DB-17G and then given the designations QB-17L and DB-17P circa 1955 (there were no newly-converted DB-17s after this date, and newly-converted QB-17s post-1955 were designated QB-17N)).

And now I know that the MB-17s were fully independent of the QB-17s.