P-51 Old Crow question

Stinger16

Depends.... Late 1944 or 1945.  Wing bands/topside bands ordered removed in August 1944 (if memory serves but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).  Lower fuselage bands were  there in very late 1944 but removed sometime in before May, 1945 from what I can see by looking at the photos of the 357th FG's aircraft.

The ETO ID bands look to have been removed/overpainted in late 1944/early 1945 as well.

REFERENCE: Olmstead, Mearle. (2004). To War With the Yoxford Boys, The Complete Story of the 357th Fighter Group. Eagle Editions Ltd. MT

Edited by Juggernut

8 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Depends.... Late 1944 or 1945.  Wing bands/topside bands ordered removed in August 1944 (if memory serves but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).  Lower fuselage bands were  removed sometime in before May, 1945 from what I can see by looking at the photos of the 357th FG's aircraft.

The ETO ID bands look to have been removed/overpainted in late 1944/early 1945 as well.

REFERENCE: Olmstead, Mearle. (2004). To War With the Yoxford Boys, The Complete Story of the 357th Fighter Group. Eagle Editions Ltd. MT

. Does this include the invasion strips on the bottom of the wings

thank you

Edited by Stinger16

Yes, the topside stripes were ordered removed first and then the wing undersides.  I should also note that according to a video interview with Bud Anderson done a long time ago (I have it on VHS tape), he stated that during summer months, the 357th used to keep the topsides of their aircraft painted green (presumably with RAF paint stocks) and in Winter, they'd strip the green paint off revealing the silver finish underneath.   You'll also have that to deal with as well. 

Edited by Juggernut

13 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Yes, the topside stripes were ordered removed first and then the wing undersides.  I should also note that according to a video interview with Bud Anderson done a long time ago (I have it on VHS tape), he stated that during summer months, the 357th used to keep the topsides of their aircraft painted green (presumably with RAF paint stocks) and in Winter, they'd strip the green paint off revealing the silver finish underneath.   You'll also have that to deal with as well. 

Thank u for your help on this. I appreciate it 

Not having to mask the invasion strips makes my project go a little bit faster now