1/32 I-16 Type 10

adamb

Hi again,

Stef: Thanks for hints, I am not building very fast, so hope to testfit twice. I think wings to fuselage problem was mentioned somewhere also, so I am prepared. Thanks.

(As a side note I let myself to say that I would be rather sceptical regarding coloration you suggest as a rule for I-16, and I suppose it is possible that you could be influenced by restored aircraft. Of course bright light blue is not obligatory for I-16 but it is known that such color was used. I decided to paint it overall because having a model with cockpit in light blue is not very often possible.)

BTW: maybe you will decide to post another thread with your Type17 build! That would be third I-16 within a month on LSP.

Dave:

Well, I expected this question will be asked some day ^_^. As I wrote earlier I thought about doing Red Five's Ishak to see how this I-16 will look in 3D. Having your model still fresh in memory I am inspired even more to build it, but in the same time I am thinking about other possible schemes. So as you see I have not decided yet, but it will be for sure VVS aircraft. So let it stay as a secret for some time ;).

Back to modeling:

Today was a first day I managed to make further progress with this build. Not much was made, but cockpit is almost finished. Drybrushed parts, added few bits to busy the walls and wire to control stick. Those small additions are various PE parts I took from old, partially used PE set. In this case from 1/48th Spitfire set, so we will have here almost a Lend-Lease I-16... Just joking!

To be clear - modifications in cockpit are not intended to be 100% accurate, but to add some elements to almost empty space.

I did the same using spare Eduard Mig 3 PE stuff on my cockpit. They have RS82 detail parts on the set too.... if you do a type 10.

Its such a shame you cannot see in to this plane even with both doors off. Big fat fuselage crying out for detail.

I have built 2 now and both have had different fits. The lugs inside the tail have to go in order to fit but the wing has fitted better on the second one by leaving off the cowl ring until last. On the first the opposite was true and the ring bulked out the fuselage to meet the wing. Lots of dry fitting is the key and then fixing a short distance of wing with liquid glue a section at a time is a good idea. This saved a lot of pain on the last build.

You must redrill all the undercarraige fixing points and use CA glue. Its a real "Cats Cradle". The gunsite is a nightmare without a magnifier, forceps and nanoprobes. Its at least six parts and only 5mm across. Talk about overengineered.

I loved it though, and I will build my next when this resine detail set hits the web.

Cant wait for this promised Yak 3 in 1/32 and please Adam.... Do some nice exotic decals for the Spit Vb Trop in 1/24.

Cheers

Dave

• 4 months later...

Hello again.

I am reviving this thread from shadows of history. However after seeing LOTS of excellent builds lately I have been hesitating to dig it out again because what is presented on LSP lately is far ahead in terms of modeling art than my simple build.

But what was started should be finished so... enough of complainig and back to the workbench.

To be frank I am scared when I see how old is my last post in this thread. Actually I thought I stopped work on this model in January, but it's been almost half a year. Incredible how fast the time passes! Did I write that fast builders could build this model over the weekend? ;) Fortunately I was not thinking about myself.

So after such long brake you have to remid yourself what was done. Last thing I did was glueing fuselage halves together. I guess after few months glue cured rather perfectly so I started today with sanding seam lines and hardened putty.

Next was taping together all wing parts to check fit. Well, what other modelers said - some work here will be necessary.

post-4-1143328438_thumb.jpg

I decided to glue main bottom fuselage part first and then to trim a little upper wing halves to achieve best fit I can in the wingroot area.

Then bottom outer wings were glued to bottom fuselage part. So tomorrow I will be trying to match lower and upper wing halves and I can see already that some trimming and filling will be necessary. I will let you know.

post-4-1143328572_thumb.jpg

Some filler on bottom wing insert/fuselage joint. I did not have any strong, thick putty for this gap, so decided to experiment a little using standard Tamiya putty with some CA glue as a "hardener". I do not know if this works, but experimenting is a part of this game so I am prepared for redoing this area in case of failure.

post-4-1143328947_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

General construction is finished. Lots of sanding and filing mainly on fuselage to wings join.

During work on testing the fit of front part of cowling I realized that... model has not engraved/moulded the steel ring between front part and engine (take a look at picture). I am usually not nitpicking about incorrect panel lines or some minimal differences between kits and real planes, but in my eye this ring is very characteristic element of any I-16.

At first I thought about just scribing missing panel, but I am not very good at it (and don't have any proffesional tools for this) and was afraid of final result. So in the end decided to add ring "extention". I sanded slightly front fuselage to accomodate minimally added length. Then cut long strip of styrene sheet (1mm wide) as an extention spreader and glued it onto front part of a ring.

post-4-1145186206_thumb.jpg

This extention works as a base for final strip which will be added later. So I can paint entire model and add "fake ring" at the end. At least I think so - hope it will work this way not only theoretically :lol:

post-4-1145186452_thumb.jpg

OK. That's overall shot.

Some details will be added to wheel wells, exhaust rings must be added also, few rivets should be restored and finally I hope to start painting. This build seems to progress very sloooowly...

post-4-1145186687_thumb.jpg

It's good to see you back at this one Adam! Progressing very nicely and your approach to the stainless cowl ring should pay off handsomely.

Does this mean we might be treated to a preview of some new I-16 decals?