ID Models A-6 Intruder

KOTR

Looking for something different, I ran across that ID Models vacu kit at Ebay. I'm considering to buy it, if the price keeps reasonable, but I don't know, if it is worth the money.

Has someone experiences with that kit? I know it is a vacu, so not too much to expect there but a lot of work, but how accurate is it shapewise?

No pain, no glory! B)

Well, if there is an alternative around, then I'll save the money, there's still enough work to do :lol:

Thanks for your answers.

Well, he put the kit up again, cos he didn't sell it the first time. Let's see, how far the price will drop, probably it will reach a level, that makes it interesting, even though its a vac.

Do we construct models, or do we just put them together like a numbered puzzle? <_<

A lot of guys neither have the inclination or the perceived skills to make a vac. If you can make an early injected kit you can certainly model from a basic shape. There are 'true' modelers and there are people that are happy to glue parts together. For my money, you can't truly grow as an artist unless you continually challenge your skills. Some projects might end up absolute crud, but when, not if, you do master the art, the personal rewards are immense.

I wish more people would try to be a little more adventurous like some of the guys who exhibit here and who continue to inspire others so greatly. This hobby is THE BEST!! :)

A lot of guys neither have the inclination or the perceived skills to make a vac. If you can make an early injected kit you can certainly model from a basic shape. There are 'true' modelers and there are people that are happy to glue parts together. For my money, you can't truly grow as an artist unless you continually challenge your skills. Some projects might end up absolute crud, but when, not if, you do master the art, the personal rewards are immense.

I wish more people would try to be a little more adventurous like some of the guys who exhibit here and who continue to inspire others so greatly. This hobby is THE BEST!! :)

Ahmen to that RPB!

Cheers

Derek

I wish more people would try to be a little more adventurous like some of the guys who exhibit here and who continue to inspire others so greatly. This hobby is THE BEST!! B)

It always strikes me as quite unfair when guys break down modelers into "Assemblers" and "Builders". Just because some don't like starting from a crude vantage point, does not make their so-called "Assembler skills" any less than that of the Vac Craftsman. Granted there are those who don't have all the skills necessary to pull off tough VAC build, but in most cases, until they've tried and failed, generalizing them as assemblers is presumptuous.

I'm sure I can be easily considered as an "assembler", as I take on many of the newer and better kits out there. What many guys outside my club don't know is I've taken on some of those crude Vac, resin, and older injection molded kits. While my first couple attempts were less than satisfactory, my later ones were built quite well. I've proved to myself I can do it, so for me these days time is of the essence. This is why I wont take on such a demanding project as a basic crude VAC kit. I just don't have the time to invest like I used to and besides, with the progress of Trumpeter and other manufactures lately, Jets like the F-100, A-7, A-6, F-111 will most likely become injection molded reality within the nest few years.

Mike V

Hi Mike V,

Good comments Mike. In my book, modellers are modellers, whether they class themselves as 'assemblers' or 'builders'! Like you (and many other modellers), I am fortunate enough to be able to do both (quite badly). My leaning tends to be more to the buiding side, however, this also has its drawbacks. Most modellers tend to either prefer building or finishing - a few are equally good at both. I find that as my experience and ability has increased on the building side over the years, my finishing skills have equally declined proportionally. modellers who may classify themselves as 'assemblers' have a distinct advantage here, as they can afford to spend less time on building and detailing the model, and more time on developing finishing techniques to a high level of perfection (something that I need to develop and work on).

Cheers

Derek

After building models for 30 some odd years you learn usually the hard way of biting off more than you can chew.If you are looking for an A-6 Intruder in 1/32 at this point in time,and you just have to have it vacuform is the only way.If you are in no hurry Trumpeter will make it so,but as they say"who knows when?".If you have never built a vac before this is not the type of kit to try to hone your skills on.Cause usually if you never built a vac this kit would probably make you put your hobby away in frustration for awhile.Usually I.D. vacs are a blob of plastic representative of the aircraft and everything has to either be scratchbuilt or partially cobbed from some donor kits with some form of surgery to make it adapt to the kit you are building.Never mind the fact you are going to have to find or if you are good enough on your computer,make your own markings.I am all for adding to our modeling skills,LSP still shows this old dog new tricks here and there,and they are a bunch of great guys to talk to.But if this is your first vac I would think twice and buy once.Best to all

MICK