Need help with a future P-40K project

Reuben L. Hernandez

While I was doing research for any aftermarket products for a Hasegawa P-40K build I ran across an image of a plane named JINX with the middle finger being extended that flew out of the CBI theatre.

What I liked most about it was the camo scheme. It has been discussed here on LSP it was dark grey over grey, heavily weathered OD over grey, blueish grey over grey I've even seen another modelers interpretation that look likes intermediate blue over grey, very cool IMHO.

Either way its different and I like it so I was wondering does anybody here know of any decals or a mask set for this bird? Also any aftermarket cockpit set for this same kit?

Thank

Reuben

Back in the saddle again!

...it was dark grey over grey, heavily weathered OD over grey, blueish grey over grey I've even seen another modelers interpretation that look likes intermediate blue over grey, very cool IMHO.

Those gray over gray schemes were the result of a profile in the old "P-40 In Action" book. That profile also incorporated a shadow of a prop blade into the paint scheme.  :rofl:

Earlier this year, color photos of Jinx surfaced showing that it wore the standard Olive Drab over Gray scheme, albeit heavily weathered:

Jinx%20Color%201_zpsqxeijqyq.jpg

Jinx%20Color%202_zps4dv0fsvd.jpg

Unfortunately, no decals are available for that aircraft.

CMK makes rudder pedals and a control stick. Eduard has several PE sets, too.

HTH,

D

Those gray over gray schemes were the result of a profile in the old "P-40 In Action" book. That profile also incorporated a shadow of a prop blade into the paint scheme. :rofl:

Earlier this year, color photos of Jinx surfaced showing that it wore the standard Olive Drab over Gray scheme, albeit heavily weathered:

Jinx%20Color%201_zpsqxeijqyq.jpg

Jinx%20Color%202_zps4dv0fsvd.jpg

Unfortunately, no decals are available for that aircraft.

CMK makes rudder pedals and a control stick. Eduard has several PE sets, too.

HTH,

D

Thanks for the info, hopefully somebody will come out with a set of decals for this aircraft. Seen it in 72nd. scale.

Do you any differences between the E model and the K as far as the cockpit is concerned? Externally I know about the tail and I know about the larger engine.

What I'm wondering could I use a E cockpit in

Place of the kit supplied one? I've read that the kit one is pretty could and maybe it's not worth the trouble?

Figured grey/grey would never be factory applied. But in war time they used what ever was on hand correct?

Very, very rarely. All things military tend to be uniform.  As with anything, there are exceptions, though.

I'm not aware of any 78th FG aircraft painted blue, black or purple. However, the 56th FG did push the regulations concerning camo colors very late in the war with various RAF greens, grays and even unidentified shades of blue. But, even then the colors and patterns used were normally applied squadron-wide for uniformity's sake. 

D