Corsair engine air supply

Loic

Hi guys,

I am calling F4U1 experts here as I have trouble to find reliable intel on the air feed system of the corsair engine.

People who have already had a look at the area behing the engine knows there are 2 big pipes on each side of the engine mount.

One comes from the middle of the engine and goes on the top of an intercooler box.

The other one comes from the top (carburator I think) and goes to the bottom of the bay/area to, I belive , the bottom of the intercooler... but that is my question indeed.

My problem is that most intel I have/found comes from restored aircraft (and the rework is not quite in line with the original setup) or does not show the area or the intercooler and pipe are off or... well, I can not find any good intel.

Some of the ref (drawings) I have show the "top" pipe connecting to the air intake in the leading edge of the wing... which I belive is wrong as, to my understanding, this intake brings fresh air to the intercooler to cool the actual engine air.

Then, I think that the "middle" piping comes off the compressor, goes to the top of the intercooler and then, from the bottom of the intercooler to the top of the engine into the carburator...

Can I please ask for confirmation on this and if you eventually have a pic of this area, that would be so great !!

Many thanks guys  ;)

Edited by Loic

Most interresting indeed!  I can not thank you enough for this  ;)

That prooves me wrong so it was really worth the question ;)

Now, that is the first time I see this "Y" shape manifold .... does it fit under the engine mount?

Finaly, I also discovered the carburator fits below the blower....

Ta !!!