Ferry NL

Well, here we go for a small update. Little time lately but this weekend will turn out productive hopefully.

Have scratched the turret drive as it was a bit empty under the chair of the bombardier and the swivel mount for the navigators chair.

The turret drive is probably not to scale but looks OK now its in place. Some wiring added as well. 

The swivel mount turns out OK as well under a coat of paint.

20140104_201901_zps6e24a562.jpg

The rough drive. sanding will follow....

20140105_000622_zps63e9df58.jpg

The swivel mount before clean up.

20140104_203647_zps669855ce.jpg

The drive in place. Looks better....

20140105_004327_zps13ec369f.jpg

Test fitting the swivel mount under the new lengthened desk. These (sometimes) were painted green and I chose to make it worn and the wood showing through.

20140105_012156_zps2e5d80ef.jpg

it's getting there. Still have to add the second leg under the desk, have a go at the chairs, add washes and add some bits and pieces to the navigator and bombardier positions.

I'm glad you got to this stage before me on my second kit.  I'll be doing the same thing.  Thanks for leading the way.  That's a really beautiful job.  I truly love what you did to the desk.  The big question was what the desk actually looked like, painted or natural.  You did both and that was perfect.  Looking forward to more.

@Loic, thanks!

@SD, thanks. If I must lead the way your pace has to come down a bit.... :-)

Regarding the desks, there was a post recently showing parts of the actual building manual stating that the navigators desk had two layers of green laquer paint. And hey, its a B-17, so basically everything seems to be possible......

Hello FerryNL,

Are the O2 hoses shown on "bulkhead three" made by winding wire around a tube? They are some of the best ones I've seen produced yet. If so, is that .032 wire mentioned? Thanks for your input. I'm following your build as I do my HKB17 too. May strata WIP thread when I'm further along. Yours is looking great!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, I use an 1 mm brass tube and wind 0.35 mm wire around it. The tube remains inside but you have to take care bending as it easily kinks.

Would like to see your build!

• 2 weeks later...