1/32 FW190 A-5/A-8 Question

Dave Pratt

Hi All,

I recently recieved the new tool FW190 A-5 and A-8 kits of which I'm currently building the later.I took a good ,long look at both kits and noticed that both have the same access hatch on the underside just aft of the cockpit.This I think has something to do with the MW-50 set-up,I may be wrong and please correct me if so.From what I have read and the drawings I have seen the A-5 doesn't have this hatch.I have never heard of anyone bringing this up before so maybe someone could shed some light on this...cheers

Dave:

I guess it depends on what panel you are looking at. From what Thomas has posted, it would appear he is thinking about the panel on the left fuselage side. It is true that all 190s had this, but it changed shape begining with the A-5 or 6. This access hatch was for general use in getting to the compass and luggage storage. There are even instances of combat photographers using it for great shots, or in an example from Tunisia, "black men" crawling in to be flown to Sicily to escape.

The panel UNDERNEATH the fuselage only appeared with the A-8, and an additional panel appeared on the right fuselage side with the A-8.

That almost square one, with the rounded corners, underneath the fuselage, was for the installation (at the factory) of a tank for GM-1 which gave a power boost above the rated atltitude of the engine: a critical factor for the 190 as its performance fell off badly above 20,000+ feet. This hatch was the only way the tank could be installed during production. It could be removed by maintenance crews. The filler point hatch was the oval hatch on the RIGHT side of the fuselage. If there was no need for the GM-1, then the tank could be used with normal fuel. Some may have used it for MW-50, but since this was a power boost BELOW the rated altitude, I am not sure how often it was used for that. In any event, the fuel for both was C-3.

It would appear that Hasegawa has taken the "cheapie" route with their A-5 (I've not seen one) by not removing these various hatches from what was correct for the A-8. I would think it would be simple to fill these hatches in.

Good Luck!

Don't you believe it. I have it on good authority that this was the exit hatch for the in flight Port-a-potty through which the "excesses" were removed. When the potty was not installed the flight crews would insert their beer barrels and the plane would ascend to altitude in order to chill the beer and the pilot would then power dive down to base and all would enjoy a cold brewski, even in the most desert of climates. You gotta give those crafty Germans their due, when it comes to beer and stuff.

Honest, as I would never give you anything but the facts when it comes to aircraft stuff.

Tim,big thanks to you my friend.Finally someone who knows what they are talking about.I figured it must have had something to do with BEER.I'm eternally greatful for the reference help that you have once again provided and I rest easy in knowing that once again you know everything about beer.Thanks man...cheers

Thomas,I was refering to the GM-1 hatch underneath the fuselage and not the side fuselage hatches but thanks for the help just the same.

JR-I ment to type GM-1 but came up with MW-50 for some reason.Must be the beer that Tim was refering to in the earlier post.I had never heard of anyone mentioning this "little problem" from Hasegawa and it will be no problem to fill and sand them.Thanks for your input...cheers...Dave

Hi Dave;

All Fw 190s had access panels on the lower fuselage where you pointed out. Up to the A-4 they were small square panels with rounded corners, with fasteners on each corner. On the A-5, A-6, A-7s they were a larger rectangular panel with rounded corners with six push type fasteners. On the A-8, because the extra 115 litre fuel tank was introduced for either extra fuel or MW 50 boost, the large squarish panel with rounded corners was introduced to allow the tank to be lowered out the bottom of the fuselage. Besides the recommended access panels that the kit directs you to fill in, this panel should also be filled in and re-scribed to the small A-5 style panel. Also, they missed filling in the primer boost filler point (the small circle under the cockpit ledge on the port side).

I hope this helps,

Jerry

• 1 month later...
Hi Dave;

All Fw 190s had access panels on the lower fuselage where you pointed out. Up to the A-4 they were small square panels with rounded corners, with fasteners on each corner. On the A-5, A-6, A-7s they were a larger rectangular panel with rounded corners with six push type fasteners. On the A-8, because the extra 115 litre fuel tank was introduced for either extra fuel or MW 50 boost, the large squarish panel with rounded corners was introduced to allow the tank to be lowered out the bottom of the fuselage. Besides the recommended access panels that the kit directs you to fill in, this panel should also be filled in and re-scribed to the small A-5 style panel. Also, they missed filling in the primer boost filler point (the small circle under the cockpit ledge on the port side).

I hope this helps,

Jerry

Hi Jerry!

Would you (or anyone else for that matter) have a drawing of the smaller hatch and its location? I have several 190 books but none of them really show the hatch. Ugh. :(

g :D