Trumpeter P-38L in 1/32 scale

alberto49

Again many thanks John,

I have same pictures of "glacier girl" but not those you posted.

I'm also starting to have some ideas on how to improve the gun bay based on pictures you sent me.

Alberto

Hey Alberto:

I've finally located all ofthe my gun bay information. I have a number of pictures of the P-38 gunbay, early and late airplanes. Some like the ones above I took myself, some pics from Lockheed, and some pages from the maintenance manuals. From your previous comments I believe you've done a web search, and may have found pics you can use. I did a quick google search and found some good ones with guns installed. Is there something specific you're looking for?

John

Hey Alberto:

I've finally located all ofthe my gun bay information. I have a number of pictures of the P-38 gunbay, early and late airplanes. Some like the ones above I took myself, some pics from Lockheed, and some pages from the maintenance manuals. From your previous comments I believe you've done a web search, and may have found pics you can use. I did a quick google search and found some good ones with guns installed. Is there something specific you're looking for?

John

Hi John,

many thanks for your answer.

I think I did already some improvements on the gunbay but I'm still struggling to understand how m.g. were installed in it.

Today I will take a few pictures of what I've done and I will post them so you will probably be able to understand what I steel need to know.

Alberto

So, here following are some pictures of my last progress on this build:

The cockpit first, with some added details but still missing safety belts and dashboard:

DSCN0429-vi.jpg

DSCN0431-vi.jpg

DSCN0442-vi.jpg

The new home made red handles are probably still a bit too big but, in my opinion, they are much better.

DSCN0444-vi.jpg

DSCN0428-vi.jpg

and then the gunbay.

First I repainted the ammo boxes in stainless steel colour.

DSCN0434-vi.jpg

in addition I tried to improve the M.G. installation

DSCN0439-vi.jpg

DSCN0447-vi.jpg

DSCN0432-vi.jpg

DSCN0440-vi.jpg

Now the issue is how to correctly install M.G.s ...

Some more will follow soon or later.

Alberto

Edited by alberto49

Hey Alberto:

That's coming along. If you go back to the first pictures I posted on page 2 of this thread, you'll see how Lockheed mounted the guns. In the first pic I posted, a page from the parts manual, Item 24 is the rear mount for the right inboard gun and is attached to the lower partition between the two sets of ammo cans. In the second pic, also a page from the parts manual, Item 32 is the rear mount for the right outboard gun, Item 39 is the casting used as the rear mount for the left inboard gun, and Item 42 is the rear mount for the left outboard gun. If you look at the next picture I posted, you'll see Item 42 with the gun mount post in the center foreground of the picture. Now look up that trough, and you'll see the casting, Item 39, halfway up the trough, and the portion that protrudes to the other side has the rear mount post for the left inboard gun. Now in front of that casting is the front mount for the left outboard gun, which is Items 1-5 on the second pic/page of the manual. Now look behind and slightly right of the left inboard rear mount, and you'll see the right inboard rear gun mount, Item 24, with its mount post. Here is another pic from the maintenance manual that shows the right inboard gun with its rear mount post.

Gunbay13_zps7d1bcf88.jpg

You can see the front mount for the right outboard gun just to the right of the inboard guns rear mount post in the above pic. (Items 1-5, second pic from page 2.)

It looks like you're trying to use as much of the kit part as possible, so it will be difficult to protray the gun mounts the way Lockheed built them because the kit part is so far off. The forward troughs you've completed look OK, but the left one should extend to the rear a little more, as this is where the front mount for the left inboard gun is located. (Right in the center of the pic 2 manual page. Also, look at the first two pictures at the top of this page.) So it depends what you want to do, and it looks like you could just mount small pieces of round stock of the right lengths to make the guns level on the kit parts. Otherwise, more scratchbuilding is in your future! Let me know if I can help more.

John

Edited by p38johnny

Hi John,

many thanks for your comment and for the picture, it's very helpful indeed!

Yes I'm trying to use kit parts as much as possible, but I'm also trying to improve the whole installation as much as I can. At the end my gun-bay will be a sort of an hybrid not completely correct under an historically view point but, hopefully better then what provided by Trumpeter.

Alberto

Hi everybody,

here following a new instalment of this story.

I added some gun support and modified the inner left M.G: installation.

DSCN0451-vi.jpg

DSCN0452-vi.jpg

DSCN0453-vi.jpg

Dry fit of M.G.s and 20 mm cannon

DSCN0458-vi.jpg

DSCN0457-vi.jpg

and the nose cone

DSCN0456-vi.jpg

DSCN0454-vi.jpg

I will try to keep going until my 18 months old grandson arrive here, then modelling will be off limits, at least for some time.

Alberto

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I have no pictures available yet but I did some work to improve wings in the flaps area but then a question came across my mind, was that worth doing? Instruction shows that flaps can be positioned extended, but was that likely when the bird was on ground? I found no picture showing that, what do you think?

Immagine22-vi.jpg

Many thanks in advance for any feed-back.

Alberto

Correct Alberto, flaps up. The reason was, after landing, the flaps were raised so while taxing, sand, pebbles and such, would not damage the flaps from the prop wash........Harv

Hi everybody,

quite slowly and besides my grandson, I did some progress

To start, the unnecessary work I did on wings: Eduard p.e. fret include some nice detailing items but, as mentioned above, flaps were raised on parked birds,

DSCN0463-vi.jpg

DSCN0464-vi.jpg

also done some work on landing gear, front and main with some small items still o be added.

DSCN0465-vi.jpg

DSCN0466-vi.jpg

DSCN0468-vi.jpg

DSCN0470-vi.jpg

Unfortunately the above pictures aren't the best possible, I think due a to too soft light, but everything was painted matt aluminium with large pipes painted stainless steel and piston rods painted chromium. Everything weathered with very diluted brunt umber oil colour.

Alberto