1/24 scale FW190 late legs

JRutman

:blink:

Stunning work on these legs !!!

It always impresses me how the h*** you can work on such tiny little parts! Among the rest, these scissors are… :bow:

BTW, I finally found some photos of the legs of a replica build and sharp details from the "Life" magazine I saved once on my computer (I'm very messy…). Are you still interested ?

You was also asking about the large blue hex connector on the top of the legs.

It's an air pressure conector, that's sure; but I id not came across it while going quickly through me maintainance books. I assume it was to balance the oleos to the weight of the AC…

;)

:blink:

Stunning work on these legs !!!

It always impresses me how the h*** you can work on such tiny little parts! Among the rest, these scissors are… :bow:

BTW, I finally found some photos of the legs of a replica build and sharp details from the "Life" magazine I saved once on my computer (I'm very messy…). Are you still interested ?

You was also asking about the large blue hex connector on the top of the legs.

It's an air pressure conector, that's sure; but I id not came across it while going quickly through me maintainance books. I assume it was to balance the oleos to the weight of the AC…

;)

Thanks for the kind words buddy. i am clear on the pressure fitting now but could always use more pics! I am not sure about the towing attachment point though. Does anyone know if this was on all 190 series legs? I have pics of it on the late model F-8 but then again pics of the D-9 without this feature. Help?

J

Small update. The legs are ready except for the retractor arm attachment point. They need a little putty and then the faces detailed. Started on the retraction arms and the covers. I decided to make the tow point pieces separate so the modeler can decide if they will be used(unless I get intel from someone otherwise that they were always installed)

IMG_1398_zps560a532e.jpg

Jerry: Will you include the spring covered arm/link as well?

Yes. That is the rod that connects the electric motor to the retraction arm I believe.

I am still debating wether to include the brake line and the electric wires that are on the retractor arms. though.

J

I would go for the plug on the wiring of the retraction arm,I believe it is for the undercarriage indicator light . The modeler can add the wires.The modeler cold also do the brake lines , the clips would have to be fashioned as well. A length of wire ,or dimensions could be supplied. I used insulated model railroad wire on mine ,and stripped the insulation off for the rigid part of the line, with auto model tie wraps for the clips.

cann10.jpg

lgear22.jpg

This is mostly the kit parts modified as much as I could.

You needa get some guy to take one of your production sets, detail it out ,taking pix, and supply a color/detail instructions with your set.

I would go for the plug on the wiring of the retraction arm,I believe it is for the undercarriage indicator light . The modeler can add the wires.The modeler cold also do the brake lines , the clips would have to be fashioned as well. A length of wire ,or dimensions could be supplied. I used insulated model railroad wire on mine ,and stripped the insulation off for the rigid part of the line, with auto model tie wraps for the clips.

cann10.jpg

lgear22.jpg

This is mostly the kit parts modified as much as I could.

You needa get some guy to take one of your production sets, detail it out ,taking pix, and supply a color/detail instructions with your set.

You did a great job with those kit parts!! Looks cool. I tried for years when I was doing this full time to get some one to build my stuff so I could use it in ads and instructions,etc. I never found anyone! I never had the time myself to do it as I was filling orders by casting parts all of the time. To do what you say I would have to wait for Tim to make the molds then cast a set and detail it and then take pix,etc. This is a huge time lag that just does not work. I would love to find a solution.

A few times I gave stuff to people for that purpous and they either took forever or never did build the stuff at all. Things move fast in this biz(or any biz) and you just can't have that. Having said that,maybe I can get Tim to send me a set and I will see what can be done in a hurry.

J

I hear ya. Worth some effort though as the items you are working on for this kit will make it a better seller, and some languishing in collections might get built. My model was researched as much as I could stand , the undercarriage was as much work as the cockpit or engine compartment. If ya want pix ,I think I took over 800 of the build,step by step pix.

The u/c bay could be addressed ,as well as the flaps , wooden and metal would be nice. I ran out of gas for the flaps , they could be popped off and replaced with a resin set though.

The suggestion was prompted by my own efforts on a 1/8 scale m/c superset. I am lucky to have a digital printer for instructions and box labeling. I bought box's for packaging and dvd's to supply pix. I have the resin parts and casting to an acceptable stage.I have p/e test shots from Eduard . I also have a 200 page manuscript 90% ready to publish. Various layout templates , decal sets , toolsets, and instruction sheets make up the final components of the set. Lucky for one guy to get all that together!

Heres an info link:

http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/fw190d924mr_1.htm

Edited by krow113

Beautiful work Steve! Jerry! I'm so glad to see you back at it and on one of my favorite subjects..If my eyes keep gettin' bad Ill be jumping to 1/24 scale eventually, but with your resin I may not wait that long ! :)

Keep up the great work brother!

Paul

Beautiful work Steve! Jerry! I'm so glad to see you back at it and on one of my favorite subjects..If my eyes keep gettin' bad Ill be jumping to 1/24 scale eventually, but with your resin I may not wait that long ! :)

Keep up the great work brother!

Paul

Well with the work that you are doing on your current build,if you ever bump up to 1/24 you will find a paradise as far as detail goes. Just look at what happened with Geoff when he went from his 1/32 P-51 to the bigger scale. He started to build a real airplane almost all in aluminum! Pressure fittings ,real bolts and nuts!! Aye carrumba!

Having said that I may take the plunge with a 1/24 P-51B or maybe a FW190D-13?

J

I hear ya. Worth some effort though as the items you are working on for this kit will make it a better seller, and some languishing in collections might get built. My model was researched as much as I could stand , the undercarriage was as much work as the cockpit or engine compartment. If ya want pix ,I think I took over 800 of the build,step by step pix.

The u/c bay could be addressed ,as well as the flaps , wooden and metal would be nice. I ran out of gas for the flaps , they could be popped off and replaced with a resin set though.

The suggestion was prompted by my own efforts on a 1/8 scale m/c superset. I am lucky to have a digital printer for instructions and box labeling. I bought box's for packaging and dvd's to supply pix. I have the resin parts and casting to an acceptable stage.I have p/e test shots from Eduard . I also have a 200 page manuscript 90% ready to publish. Various layout templates , decal sets , toolsets, and instruction sheets make up the final components of the set. Lucky for one guy to get all that together!

Heres an info link:

http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/fw190d924mr_1.htm

I thought this would be a good idea as the Airfix people rereleased the big FW190 again. There are also slews of these laying on peoples' shelves already so.... One may say that trumpy has announced a 1/24 FW190A but where is it? Plus,if the new kit has legs like the D-9 there is tons of space for improvement there.

J

(...) I decided to make the tow point pieces separate so the modeler can decide if they will be used(unless I get intel from someone otherwise that they were always installed)

(...)

Sorry Jerry, I'm quite overwhelmed by work … and had no time to come back...

This is what I had can be found at "LIFE's" archives :

1302280929359335010912468.jpg

1302280929539335010912469.jpg

1302280930109335010912470.jpg

Now it's an A4 if I'm right...?

'still have to check if I find something about the later legs... ;)