F-16XL by Ace Hobby

wedfactory

Fist let me say that this kit was #^%*(# to build. Every #$%**# piece needed to have flash removed, and injection holes filled. Parts didn't #&( fit, the insrtuctions where from another F-16 kit that had some minor changes to adapt to the XL version. The instructions had you put the wings on $*%*#% upsidedown and on the wrong side!! THe decals looked as though they were draw with #$^$* crayon!

After all that, why did I finish it? Because I am #*(%&%# stupid! But the results worked out some how....

100_7325.jpg

100_7324.jpg

100_7327.jpg

100_7326.jpg

100_7328.jpg

Really glad to see someone out there put the effort into this one! I have read about this kit (and since avoided it like the plague!) and always liking the lines of the XL, have wanted one in my display case. You must be very of this one, as I doubt there are many out there finished!

Very Nice!!

Glad you hung in there. Really digging the paint.

Noticed pictures of the 'pit are from 2008. Wow!

Not sure wether to take it as perseverance, a glutton for punishment, or both.

Truly a great job though -- Kudos to you.

:beer:

Cheers,

Dave

Really glad to see someone out there put the effort into this one! I have read about this kit (and since avoided it like the plague!) and always liking the lines of the XL, have wanted one in my display case. You must be very of this one, as I doubt there are many out there finished!

Understand the main reason why most modelers suggest avoiding the 32nd Revell/ACE/Kangman F-16XL, as it's terribly inaccurate and the fit is near as bad as its accuracy. It doesn’t pass as an F-16XL, no more than Trumpeter’s Eurofighter kit does.

In order to make an accurate F-16XL out of this kit, one needs another donor kit (usually Hasegawa) to cut and splice the correct plug extensions. The wing needs to be extended and all the correct chords, cranks, and LE undercurl will need to be addressed. On top of all that, depending on what era XL one is building, correct HWG / LWG wheels, correct HWG are needed, as well as cockpit and Exhaust. There are also a lot of smaller details specific to the XL that the ACE kit lacks.

Even as terribly inaccurate as the 32nd Revell/ACE/Kangman F-16XL is, it (like any other model that’s significantly inaccurate) can be built into an impressive display; as in this case. Sure, it may be totally inaccurate as an F-16XL, but the craftsmanship quality is excellent; therefore has a significant quality all its own and I can appreciate that.

Personally, I find this an interesting subject, especially the splinter camo; a nice touch. I have some F-16XL proposals in a Block 40ish (NAV/LANTIRN Pods, Spine, etc..) configuration that list a splinter and Ferris Heatly paint scheme. I’d love to build one in one of those

I find it amazing no kit or AM company has yet to make an accurate F-16XL kit or conversion. The irony in all this is that the 1/144th LS kit is the most accurate one out there. We aim to change that though, but from the bottom of the scale chart on up; meaning 72nd scale first.

Nice work Wedfactor; oh, and don't forget to put ou MLG doors on

Mike V