Got some good things on order for the N3N build - Now I need a 1/32 tw

Joe McDonald

I think I am on my way to building an NAF N3N using a K5Y kit that is now on order. I've also found some 4-view drawings of the N3N on the internet, and an engine kit for a Wright engine that looks a lot like the one in the N3N. I might order it as well.

But, I've had no luck (so far) in finding an aftermarket resin, two-blade, Hamilton Standard prop. Does anybody make such a thing? The prop for the K5Y appears to be unique to that aircraft.

I also ordered the Doyusha kit hoping to convert it to a Stearman as I'm burned out on total scratch builds. My source for 30's era Hamilton standard props and radial engines are the old Williams Bros kits particularly both Gee Bee kits. What was the source of the 4 view plans?

BTW if you have any upcoming contests in your area, the vendors area usually has the WB kits for $10-$15.

Thanks, I'll have a look to see what I can find. It's too bad that there isn't a Stearman/N3N kit in 1/32. It's a pretty famous plane, and lots of cadets trained using them.

I found the drawings on http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/modernplanes/modern-n/48372/view/naval_aircraft_factory_n3n-3/ They ask you to register to download them. They are not wonderful, but are probably OK for my purposes. I think I can print them out to be 1/32 scale.

I think I just missed an IPMS meeting in Seattle, but I will keep an eye out.