Seeking answers to P-40K questions

blunce

So I'm starting to tie up all the loose ends in anticipation of painting my 1/32 P-40K and have just a few questions (for now).

Photos from Steven R. Stohr at http://www.p40warhaw...40_3/P-40_3.htm

1. In this first photo, directly above the cowl flaps, there is a small, almost half circle access door that says starter on it. On my kit it is also there, but there is also another one in the same place on the left side. Both the P-40N at the Museum of Flight Seattle and this aircraft pictured below do not have that door on the left side. Do I eliminate the one on the kit?

MVC-029S.JPG

2. Also, there is a hole in the wing root leading edge on both sides of this aircraft, but my kit only has a hole on the right side. Would a -K have the hole on both sides?

MVC-046S.JPG

Colors:

3. Suggestions on undercarriage color? I've seen silver and seen underside color; either/or?

4. Wheel wells, I painted my wheel wells in interior green (Gunze H58) as directed in the instructions, but I can still change them if I should. I think I've seen some real aircraft painted that way, but I've also seen some in underside color.

5. Bottom of fuselage has two holes and the bottom right wing root has one hole for lights. Instructions state to fill the two in the fuselage. Confirm/ deny for a -K model.

*One thing to consider- the aircraft I am doing is a South African Air Force plane that was delivered and used for only about a year in 1943. So, not alot of wear and tear and resulting repaints that may give any number of options for color usage. So I'm thinking this thing would've probably been as it was when it left the factory.

Camo scheme is Dark Earth/Middlestone/Azure

6. Any recommendations on a Middlestone color, preferably in a Tamiya mix. I've got Gunze H71 and Floquil Br. Middlestone 303153, but they are not the same color- close though. Anyhow, just curious if there's a popular option for Middlestone.

TIA!

Edited by blunce

Hmm, I didn't know they had a -K model there! I was there in '08 but I don't think I took any picture of it then. And even if I did they may or may not exist on a hard drive that got fried in a wind storm power outage a few years back.

Questions 1,2,3 have been answered, and 4 is believed to be YZC, so if anyone has answers to the rest I'd love to hear them.

You ever make it up this way for any shows Ray?

Edited by blunce

Q. 4 I don't have any specific knowledge of P-40's, but in general most early WWIi aircraft wheel wells could be YZC or underside color, depending on whether the a/c went through an overhaul/repaint. They typically used the underside color for everything in that case rather than mask and paint the different paints. They were typically in a hurry.

I do make it to some Seattle area shows, but it has been a while. I don't think I will be back in time to hit the Spring Show, but am planning on hitting the June show in Port Townsend.

BTW, the McMinnville P-40K is done up in Ken Jernstedt's Flying Tiger A/B so that might have thrown you.

Thanks Ray!

Somewhere I think I read that the aircraft I'm doing could actually be considered more of a late -E than a K.

Anyhow, thanks for that link showing Greg's photos. I'm going to send him an email and see if he knows the answers.

Q. 4 I don't have any specific knowledge of P-40's, but in general most early WWIi aircraft wheel wells could be YZC or underside color, depending on whether the a/c went through an overhaul/repaint. They typically used the underside color for everything in that case rather than mask and paint the different paints. They were typically in a hurry.

I do make it to some Seattle area shows, but it has been a while. I don't think I will be back in time to hit the Spring Show, but am planning on hitting the June show in Port Townsend.

BTW, the McMinnville P-40K is done up in Ken Jernstedt's Flying Tiger A/B so that might have thrown you.

Here's a topic, supposing all P-40s, all models came off the assembly line the same way, I'd say this is the defining photo. At the bottom of the pic, you can see a small strip of metal that is ZCY, and the rest of the wheel well looks to me like what would be considered Curtiss Green. Talk amongst yourselves....

http://www.gstatic.c...8e8353125_large

and here's a photo that show the wheel well pretty good, but is that YZC or GZC or ??

http://www.gstatic.c...49707e423_large

http://www.gstatic.c...1599e1613_large

and here's an interesting photo that shows both ZCY AND Curtiss green primers in use on the same airframe. (Wing root area)

http://www.gstatic.c...cf1918feb_large

Edited by blunce

The wheel wells were usually fitted with a canvas cover inside of the wheel hole, and the forward area was painted the same color as the underside of the wing.

A shot I took of this on the Military Aviation Museum's impeccably restored P-40E:

P-40E_12.jpg

More pics of of that airplane here:

http://www.p40warhawk.com/P-40sToday/DarinBellis/P-40E/P-40E.htm

HTH,

D

Thanks for the pic, but unless I scratch the canvas cover which I won't, it doesn't do much for my color decision. I know there was typically the cover, but since I'm not going to create one, I've got to color what I've been given.

Thanks for the link to the more photos too! speak_cool.gif