IsraCasts 1/32 Israeli Air Force F-16D Block 40 'Barak' conver

MAK

Hi

I am contemplating whether or not to buy IsraCasts 1/32 Israeli Air Force F-16D Block 40 'Barak' conversion set for the Tamiya F-16C/J kit to use it and build a US F-16B/D. What are the differences between Israeli and US F-16B/Ds? I don't seem to find any information on the net. I may be looking in the wrong places! Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

MAK

I third the suggestion for getting the Isra "F-16D 2 Seater" Conversion. The Barak D has far to many details and features not present on the F-16Ds.

You can build a standard Block 50 D model using the F-16D conversion, but not much else and certainly not a F-16B. If you can find a WAR HUD and source the fuselage beef up plating, you can also do a Block 40 D.

Backdating to a B will be a lot of work, I think. It's been a little while since I messed with Viper stuff, but if I recall, the B's were based on A's, which had a lot of differences, including the horizontal and vertical tail surfaces, depending on which block. There's also other differences depending on which block you want to do, such as the shape of the nose (different radar units, so different radomes).

Isracast's stuff is very nice, and I used the Barak 2 seater conversion as the basis to do my Greek F-16D, since they used a similar spine. If you can get the US conversion, that's the way to go.

Chris

The WP WAR HUD in like the 48th scale one; mishapen and underscaled. The Black Box WAR HUD is the one to get.

Backdating to a B will be a lot of work, I think. It's been a little while since I messed with Viper stuff, but if I recall, the B's were based on A's, which had a lot of differences, including the horizontal and vertical tail surfaces, depending on which block. There's also other differences depending on which block you want to do, such as the shape of the nose (different radar units, so different radomes).

Isracast's stuff is very nice, and I used the Barak 2 seater conversion as the basis to do my Greek F-16D, since they used a similar spine. If you can get the US conversion, that's the way to go.

Chris

Actually the nose/radomes shapes are unchanged up until Block 60. The radome of an F-16A is the same shape and size as the one on the F-16CJ.

You're right about the other F-16A/B features; the reason why I said the Tamiya F-16CJ can't really I(practically) be converted into an F-16B.

Did anybody thought about converting Hasegawa F-16 in a F-16B using Isra conversion set? I think all Hasegawa F-16 are more As than anything else. I thought of this option but never tried to do anything yet.

Jozef

Not that it was asked, but seeing how the Isra conversion is designed for the Tamiya kit, there are bound to be some significant cross sectional fit and sizing issues to contend with. On top of that, there's the cockpit to address. The Hasegawa kit F-16A cockpit is "ok", but the glare shield is quite flat and mishapen, resulting in a flat-wide instrument panel. Irsa's aft pit would need console changes and all new aft instrument panel. There are other issues to think about like the too short wheel wells/gear doors, inaccurate wheels, and raised panel lines.