HE162 White 23

miamiangler

Hello everyone ,

I found this photo of White 23 in color .This is the best one I could find . I would like to know what some of you here on the LSP forum think the green is ? RLM 82 , RLM 70 or RLM 71 . I know the engine is dark olive 81 . gear doors are RLM 65 .I `m getting close to painting some of this spatz soon ,He162-34af-s.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

Here`s another update :

But first I want to thank Big Matt and Hans for helping me with the colors of the He162 I think I narrowed it down ,but I will put up a color chart soon to see how close I got to the only color photo of White 23 in 1945.As Matt said its a 70+ year old photo!

I have the wheel wells 100% DONE :) buttoned up so soon for painting .

I made the What I think is a fuel dump out of copper tubing ,copper wire ,heat shrink and solder.050 dia.

willie002-4.jpg

The rest of the photo`s are of the wheel wells in different stages .SO HOPE THIS IS NOT TO BORING !

willie003-4.jpg

I redid the hydralic lines to their correct positions .The ones in red ;)

willie004-4.jpg

willie005-5.jpg

willie006-3.jpg

willie007-3.jpg

there`s still a few photo`s missing .But will be posted tonight ...

Thanks again for dropping in .

Willi

Hi everyone,

Time for another update on the Spatz:

First I want to say A big thanks to Ian from Ad Astra Masks .He hit this one right . I found the masks very easy to use and looks great .

willie010.jpg

I finally started to put some color on this bird . I spent most of all Sunday spraying and masking about six times between the four colors . I think I got it close enough to the photo of White 23.The nose cone colors kept my blood pressure high!

willie011.jpg

I got most of the RLM76 done with the dark staining and all .Now it is to try to figure out the top color which is the next phase before I put the red arrow on the nose cone .

willie012.jpg

Well that`s it for a while . Comments are welcome good or bad :).

Willi

Willi, the only chip I see on my screen that looks a match is from the top sample top left 71 gs. The rest look a bit off and I don't see anything with that braunviolet hue. Could that be 70 on top of the rear fuse at the insignia??? Just a patch maybe. There seems to be a matching section just aft of the canopy as well.

Sorry for stirring the pot :wicked:

Willi, the only chip I see on my screen that looks a match is from the top sample top left 71 gs. The rest look a bit off and I don't see anything with that braunviolet hue. Could that be 70 on top of the rear fuse at the insignia??? Just a patch maybe. There seems to be a matching section just aft of the canopy as well.

Sorry for stirring the pot :wicked:

Hi Matt ,

I remember when you wrote to me that it is a 70+photo which I took in to consideration. The two top colors chips are Gunze and ployscale . I was thinking the same the back looks lot more faded then the front . I have a close up photo of the nose cone which looks like it was 70 black green but this plane has been painted a few times and I am sure that was a recent painting maybe back in the late 40`s or 50`s. This color photo which I have posted was taken right after it arrived in to the U.S. after the war . One note the right wing has been painted over also in this photo , I know this because when the A/C was W.nr 120230 at leck field on the right wing there are 3 lines which I think are RLm 76 on the wing tips .

I did try some color chips in RLM 70 but all where way to dark even with the chip lightened .

I thought with the color chips up on the screen it would be easy to pick color s ,but it`s NOT! :BANGHEAD2: too bad there`s no way for me to go up to the A/C in Washington and get a chip off the Original Plane :innocent: that probably would be the only way to find out the true colors.;)

Willi

Today I added the red arrows and lined up the numbers so I can get ready to spray the RLM 71 . One foot note and I totally missed this one .Today I checked all the referances I have and read in the Monogram Painting Guide that the lower wing surfaces where also RLM 65. I found that the Testors and Polyscale RLM 65 was to greenish blue in color to the chips in the book . I used Aeromaster warbird color RLM 78 which turn out to be a exact match to the color chip RLM 65 . my second reference (IPMS color cross-reference guide by David H klaus)stated that RLM 78 was a good match to RLM65.

willie016.jpg

willie017.jpg

willie018.jpg

willie019.jpg

Thanks for looking more to come soon

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

I like the 78/65. It should look very striking. I don't see what the problem is with the arrows, they look fine to me. The treatment of the nose came out great.

The arrows are not curved enough so have to modify a little .I started with the RlM 71 on the back side giving it a little faded look hope it turns out alright . The photo does not show the 78/65 in the right hue. But when I placed the part on the chip looks the same . Hope to get most of it done before the Club meeting on Sunday. Saturday is my fishing day .This time I`m going :).

Willi

I have most of the body painted with three different shades of RLM71. I`m working on getting the rear landing gear ready .the canopies are being Futured today . I hope by next week it will start looking like a plane .

This is a photo of 120230 when it was still in Leck field. notice the band of RLM65 on the nose cone and the engine nacelle natural metal .

AG7.jpg

On the second photo notice the three lines on the starboard wing tip .

AG6.jpg

AG5.jpg

AG10.jpg

Thanks for looking. Your comments are welcome :)

Willi

Edited by miamiangler