Trumpeter EA-18G

cyarborough

Well...I have stalled on my WNW DV. Just don't know that I am a WWI kinda guy. Still hope to finish it but have a new project of focus. I have started working on my Growler. When completed this kit will get the Navy Centennial treatment. I was very excited to get the kit...then I started looking over the new parts. None of the Growler's fuselage "add-ons" are present. The AN/ALQ pods supplied are incorrect in shape and detail and the dogtooth fairing on the flaps is not supplied. Either I am developing AMS already or these errors really stand out. I am not trying to bash this kit but I searched for good reviews/builds and couldn't find any that included all of this info so I thought I would share. It shouldn't be too hard to make the needed corrections and I still think this should build into an impressive model. Shall we?

First up are the wingtip AN/ALQ 218s. In the pictures below, notice the bulges down the length of the pod. They had to be extended to the panel lines at each end. I did this using Avies Apoxy Sculpt and a whole lot of shaping. The shape on the ends is incorrect as well. They should actually be a bit more tapered. I did not catch this until after the Apoxy Sculpt was fully cured. All of the panel lines were re-scribed...I think I went too deep. The tips of these pods should also have a more "bulbous" look to them. So, I rounded out the edges a little with sanding sponges.

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

The AN/ALQ-218 has an air intake channel that runs almost the full length of the side that mounts to the wingtip. This was added with styrene strip.

IMG_1328.jpg

The pod should also sit much more forward on the wingtip. So...I moved the mounting hole closer to the back of the pod. I am sorry I don't have a picture of this on the wingtip. I wasn't thinking. Will take one later.

IMG_1329.jpg

Scribed some of the panel lines that standout on the actual pods. The more I look at it the more unsatisfied I become. Looks like I am going to have to scribe some of the less noticeable lines and add some riveting.

IMG_1333.jpg

Looking at reference photos I also noticed the wings on the pod are shaped wrong. The actual wings are not flat. They have more of a diamond shape to them. I have not decided if I want try replicating this or not. It will be a long time before these things get mounted so I am thinking it is a distinct possibility. Would be good practice.

And I promise..."come hell or high water"...this one will get completed.

Yeah...I ordered the Steel Beach set. But you would think that with the small amount of parts needed to make the F a Growler they could have done a better job. There is a really good build of the E in last month's TMMI.

Just realized...This weekend marks one year of building models for me. Man time flies when you are having fun!

Edited by cyarborough

The next two pictures show how far forward I went with the pod. The original pod is placed in the location where it was to be mounted OOB. There is something wrong with either the length of the pod, the length of the wingtip, and/or the placement of the "winglets" on the jamming pods. The center of the rear winglet should line up with the line between the wing and aileron. But, the rear of the pod should stick out beyond the trailing edge. I am not the type to worry about the exact measurements and am not going to attempt lengthening the pod so this is good enough for me.

IMG_1338.jpg

In the circle below...what is the function of the vertical plate that goes in that location? From the reference photos I have it does not appear to exist on the G.

IMG_1339.jpg

My attempt to get the winglets in the correct shape. Again, close enough for me.

IMG_1340.jpg

Wish I had more time to work on this today. But, since I am getting married tomorrow I guess I have to take a break huh? ;)

-chris

Edited by cyarborough

• 2 weeks later...

The Wolfpack SJU-17/A seats that are advertised on Sprue Bros. with this aircraft do not even come close to fitting. They look great but they are just too wide. It says it is for the F-18F so I figured it would fit the G.

The other wingtip pod is close to finished. I also started working on the cockpit. I have been adding some detail to the ACS cockpit shroud. Hopefully, I will have some pics to post before the end of the weekend.

Thanks Erick. Good call on the formation light and good work on the shroud! Based on yours the way yours turned out I am going to spend some more time on mine. I will still post some pics of it in its current state later today. It is very similar to yours without quite as much detail...for now. Ordering Archer rivets now!

I didn't shorten them. They are too short already. The front of them should fall almost inline with the dogtooth on the wing. The back end should fall just beyond the tip of the aileron.

Here is where I am with the shroud. Got plenty more work and cleanup to do on it. Erick...do you have images of the bracing on the shroud that is behind the front ejection seat? In all of the images I have ejection seat is blocking the view.

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

One more update for the weekend. A little cleanup. Gonna try to add the 4 stiffeners and the rivets before next weekend. Then I need to figure out how to integrate this thing into the cockpit. There is some paneling and bracing but I can't really make out the shapes and terminating locations.

I have the book and I love it!

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...so here are the results I am getting. There is a bit of touch up left to do. I am sure someone that has been working with styrene longer than me could get a perfect result from the kit coaming. Took quite a bit of work for me to get to this point and I am not happy with the results...yet.

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg