Size of swastika on ZM´s Ta 152H-1?

Wurzacher

Hello friends!

A long time ago i built Dragon´s Ta 152H-1 model kit in 1/48 scale and for living in Germany i had to aquire the swastikas needed elsewhere.

Ta152H1100kb.jpg

(Picture shown for discussion purposes only)

Looking at my references i found that the Ta 152H-1 had, with a lateral length of 500mm, a larger swastika than the Fw 190 series!

I recalled my thoughts when i had a look at Jean-Paul Poisseroux´s incredible built of ZM´s Ta 152 H-1 in Replic no. 232, december 2010. There are a lot of fine pictures of his fantastic built, and some of these show the aircraft from the side. I love his built, really, but the swastika supplied in the kit looked off-key to my eyes, too small in relation to the tail fin and contemporary pictures (and my built kit in 1/48 scale :blush: ).

So i took the kit supplied decals out of ZM´s georgeous box and measured them with a lateral length of 12mm, equaling 384mm in 1/1 size. Now, dividing 500mm (the size needed) by 32 (the scale of the kit) equals 15,625mm. In other words, the kit supplied swastikas are only 76,8% of the size needed...

I stand to be corrected on this, but with at least two reference books (the great Ta 152 opus by Jerry Crandall, and Hitchcock´s Monogram Close-Up #24) giving a size of 500mm i am afraid the kit´s decals are too small.

@JC: will your new decals supply swastikas with the size needed?

Thomas

Hello friends!

A long time ago i built Dragon´s Ta 152H-1 model kit in 1/48 scale and for living in Germany i had to aquire the swastikas needed elsewhere.

Ta152H1100kb.jpg

(Picture shown for discussion purposes only)

Looking at my references i found that the Ta 152H-1 had, with a lateral length of 500mm, a larger swastika than the Fw 190 series!

I recalled my thoughts when i had a look at Jean-Paul Poisseroux´s incredible built of ZM´s Ta 152 H-1 in Replic no. 232, december 2010. There are a lot of fine pictures of his fantastic built, and some of these show the aircraft from the side. I love his built, really, but the swastika supplied in the kit looked off-key to my eyes, too small in relation to the tail fin and contemporary pictures (and my built kit in 1/48 scale :blush: ).

So i took the kit supplied decals out of ZM´s georgeous box and measured them with a lateral length of 12mm, equaling 384mm in 1/1 size. Now, dividing 500mm (the size needed) by 32 (the scale of the kit) equals 15,625mm. In other words, the kit supplied swastikas are only 76,8% of the size needed...

I stand to be corrected on this, but with at least two reference books (the great Ta 152 opus by Jerry Crandall, and Hitchcock´s Monogram Close-Up #24) giving a size of 500mm i am afraid the kit´s decals are too small.

@JC: will your new decals supply swastikas with the size needed?

Thomas

Yes, they are scaled to 500 mm. Not only that, our decal engineer Tom Tullis has configured them so that we can ship to Germany. It will take a little assembly, but in the end all will be well with the world,

Judy

Eagle Editions