Trumpeter Mig 23MF

Guest Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

Hi all,

I've parked the Sturmovik up for a while, until I can get some better resource material. For a minute there, I actually wasn't enjoying modelling at all!!!

I got this kit recently from Andy at Antics, and just had to get stuck in. There's a lot of good press about this kit, some even say it's trumpeter's best yet!! I'll give you my opinion in time.

I've built the little trolley for the rear fuselage, and it was covered in flash and seam lines, though the rest of the kit looks good.

I reckon Trumpeter have made an error with the Engine. For a start they would have you remove the engine with the tail section for display. This is in fact incorrect, as the Engine stays in the Fuselage on the real plane, and the jet pipe stays in the tail. The split is just about where the afterburners are.

Trumpeter have also got the engine out of proportion, and as a result have it too far back in the fuselage. The "Engine" is too long, and the Jet pipe is too short!!

In photo one, you'll see how they would have you display the engine, stuck in the rear fuselage section.

Rearend.jpg

Photo two shows the rear attached to the fuselage. It's clear to see why it all wrong..The bays are in the way!!

rearend2.jpg

Photo three shows the engine halves together

Engine-1.jpg

Photo four shows the correct position of the engine, to get the right amount hanging out of the fuselage. The engine half below it shows the section of engine to be removed. As you can see the front of the engine will need to be carved up or cut off to fit??

Cutupdetail.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'll try to move quickly on this one....

Guest Nigelr32

Here's the corrected Engine, at least half way there anyway. The jet pipe needs to be shortened next, and the afterburner rings will stick out just the right amount.

correctengine.jpg

With regard to the length issue, I'm wondering if the engine is actually overscale?? I'm trying to find out if the engine actually sat between the main u/c bays or behind them??

Guest Nigelr32

Hi all,

Here's a pic of the cut down engine, showing the corrected length of the afterburner can. notice how much I've cut off the front of the engine to get it in behind the wheel bays.

So, is the engine in this kit too long, or is the diameter between the wheel bays too small??

cutdownengine.jpg

This next picture shows the modified afterburner rings, with the additional scratchbuilt third one, not included in the kit. Any advice on how I can crinkle cut the edges would be gratefully recieved...please...

afterburner2.jpg

And here we can see the rings sticking out of the can just the right amount. This is what will be seen with the tail off, the jet pipe stays in the tail.

afterburner.jpg

Please tell me what you think, good or bad. I would love some ideas on how to crinkle cut those edges...

Thanks for looking

Guest Nigelr32

Thanks Harv, there are other builds of this plane around on the net. It's interesting just how many schemes you can cover with this kit. Just take a look on Wikipedia to see how many countries used it!!

For reference I'm using the Cold War Air Museum in USA. www.cwam.org it's brilliant!!

Anyway, here's a pic of the ancilliaries as Trumpeter would have you fit them, too far back..

apu.jpg

And here's a pic of them correctly positioned. Note the hose on the rear end has been carved out as it was moulded as a web.

apu2.jpg

I need to add some hosing to this are and all the fuel lines around the afterburner can. I'll check back later with more shots.

Guest Nigelr32

I've done a little more work on this one now. As you can see, Trumpeter have in fact got the engine too big in diameter!! The engine basically fills the aperture in the fuselage rear.

superdetailedengine.jpg

I've added a few fuel hoses, modified the turbine casing with strip and made a couple of obvious bits and bobs from card.

superdetailedengine1.jpg

I know you all think I'm crazy, but I want to be able to display this one with the tail off!!

Guest Peterpools

Nige

The detailing looks wonderful and adds a ton of interest to the engine assembly.

What I never understood is after a company does all their homework and works out the details with more resources then would be available to us, why so many errors and mistakes? I can understand the omissions but poorly placed parts or sized wrong, just seems that someone dropped the ball and no one picked it up.

Peter

Guest Nigelr32

I agree Peter, why do certain companies keep doing this??

They include detail, which no doubt drives up the price of these kits, but get it all wrong!! I must say, the trolley is very accurate, and apparently the overall size and shape of this kit is good, but why did they totally mess up on the engine??

Trumpeter are famous for including detail that will never be seen, but in this kit, they go to the trouble of allowing the modeller to display the engine, and totally mess up?? I don't know what happened at the design stages of this kit, but as you say, someone dropped a big one!!

Guest Nigelr32

Hi all,

Finally got some paint on the engine.

paintedengine.jpg

paintedengine1.jpg

This is all that'll be seen with the tail off

paintedengine2.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, but not over the moon with the afterburner rings...

Thanks for looking in, all comments will be greatly recieved, negative or positive.

Guest Nigelr32

Thanks for the tip and the compliment there Metallicus.

Unfortunately I'll have to leave it to the next one I do. as you can see, it's a little late for this one!!