1/32 scale Trumpeter IL-2

alaninaustria

YYVan has it for for $64.

James

Wow, these prices are all over the place - I got mine for $83USD (minus shipping), Smitty1 saw one for $168USD, now this one for $64 (USD, I presume). James, excuse my ignorance, but who or what is "YYVan"?

Regards,

Learstang

Wow, these prices are all over the place - I got mine for $83USD (minus shipping), Smitty1 saw one for $168USD, now this one for $64 (USD, I presume). James, excuse my ignorance, but who or what is "YYVan"?

Regards,

Learstang

He's a fellow in Hong Kong. I've bought a fair amount from him in the past. Awesome prices (yes US). http://erichmodel.tripod.com/

I usually get a good order together and then get airmail. On average I could get around $600 (based on US and Cdn stores) for about $300 including shipping. Some prices have gone up but overall they are not bad.

James

He's a fellow in Hong Kong. I've bought a fair amount from him in the past. Awesome prices (yes US). http://erichmodel.tripod.com/

I usually get a good order together and then get airmail. On average I could get around $600 (based on US and Cdn stores) for about $300 including shipping. Some prices have gone up but overall they are not bad.

James

Thank you for the information, James, I'll have to check him out. I presume he'll have the different versions of the IL-2 as they're respectively released. At his prices, I might just be able to afford them.

Regards,

Learstang

Nice photographs of the box, James! It's nice to see you've gotten a start on this beast - I've gotten most of the parts off the sprues, and cleaned up, and I'm starting to glue and paint, starting with the cockpit. Please keep the pictures coming. One thing about that aft armour plate - the flange on top should be cut off for the single-seater, otherwise it's looking good. The colour looks good for the cockpit - a medium grey. Please see the photograph below for what I'm talking about with the armour plate (the red-striped part should be removed). Oops! Just read where you said you want it just straight out of the box - so, never mind about the armour plate (unless you want to).

Regards,

Learstang

post-24219-1280110116.jpg

Nice photographs of the box, James! It's nice to see you've gotten a start on this beast - I'm gotten most of the parts off the sprues, and cleaned up, and I'm starting to glue and paint, starting with the cockpit. Please keep the pictures coming. One thing about that aft armour plate - the flange on top should be cut off for the single-seater, otherwise it's looking good. The colour looks good for the cockpit - a medium grey. Please see the photograph below for what I'm talking about with the armour plate (the red-striped part should be removed). Oops! Just read where you said you want it just straight out of the box - so, never mind about the armour plate (unless you want to).

Regards,

Learstang

post-24219-1280110116.jpg

Seems hard to find pics of the cockpit. Have some. I'll have to decide this week if I am going to cut the armour plate off. Thanks for the tip.

James

Seems hard to find pics of the cockpit. Have some. I'll have to decide this week if I am going to cut the armour plate off. Thanks for the tip.

James

If it helps, I've already "fixed" mine, and I can tell you it was very easy. Just get out your sprue cutter, snip off the offending flange, then sand down the resultant rough edge.

Regards,

Learstang

Below is a picture of the different guns offered in this kit. From top to bottom they are - 7.62mm (.30 calibre) ShKAS machine gun, 12.7mm (.50 calibre) Berezin machine gun, 23mm VYa-23 cannon, and last and certainly not least, the lovely and talented 37mm NS-37 cannon. Note that the 12.7mm and 37mm were not used for the single-seaters, but are for future kits of the IL-2.

Regards,

Learstang

post-24219-1280184025.jpg

I'm wishing it wasn't the ski version....but I may go ahead and buy one if I see one for a good deal next week in Phoenix.....I've bought cars on impulse...why not a few models...

Chris

I'm wishing it wasn't the ski version....but I may go ahead and buy one if I see one for a good deal next week in Phoenix.....I've bought cars on impulse...why not a few models...

Chris

Chris, if you want the wheeled version, you might wait a few months. Since it's already been posted on HB's website, hopefully it'll be available in 3 months or so? Then again, if you get a good deal on the ski version, go for it!

Regards,

Learstang

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who's interested, my compendious and occasionally accurate review of the HB kit is now in the reviews section of this site, thanks to the efforts of LSP_Kevin (Kev). Please let me know if you have any questions (or polite and positive comments - negative comments will be printed out and burned)! (My apologies to alaninaustria for hijacking his thread! And speaking of which, I'm sure we'd love to see some pictures of your Shturmovik, and you too, James.) As a sort of addendum to that review, I talk about both the external VV-1 and internal PBP-1 gunsight in the article. I'm beginning to believe that the PBP-1 (a reflector gunsight) was more likely used on the ski-equipped single-seater; however, my comments on the VV-1 gunsight will still be applicable to the two-seaters (and the later single-seaters, which definitely did use it). Happy Reading!

Regards,

Learstang

For anyone who's interested, my compendious and occasionally accurate review of the HB kit is now in the reviews section of this site, thanks to the efforts of LSP_Kevin (Kev). Please let me know if you have any questions (or polite and positive comments - negative comments will be printed out and burned)! (My apologies to alaninaustria for hijacking his thread! And speaking of which, I'm sure we'd love to see some pictures of your Shturmovik, and you too, James.) As a sort of addendum to that review, I talk about both the external VV-1 and internal PBP-1 gunsight in the article. I'm beginning to believe that the PBP-1 (a reflector gunsight) was more likely used on the ski-equipped single-seater; however, my comments on the VV-1 gunsight will still be applicable to the two-seaters (and the later single-seaters, which definitely did use it). Happy Reading!

Regards,

Learstang

You've created a problem for me with the review. I wanted to build this oob to kick start my flagging modeling (havent finished anything in sooo long) and as a stress relief from worrying about becomming unemployed for the first time. Now I'm getting the thoughts that maybe I should do this properly. I already cut down the head armour. Taped it all together and am now looking at the other mods and trying to decided what to do. La sigh. I have directions and pics so I guess its the full meal deal. Good thing I've got lots of time. lol

James

PS I'll post pic of taped plane tonight on its own thread. Sorry alaninaustria for assisting in the take over of your thread.