diamond treads

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

Don't scribe the treads, but use thinner and a course file to press or melt

the treads into the plastic.

Have a look at the great instruction films of Chuck Davenport.

Look at the last few minutes of this clip (part 1):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UduaawM_Arw

And look at the first few minutes of part 2 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlZphoaqTVE

Make sure you choose the correct file.

Goodluck,

Erik.

Hello Erik,

I was searching the internet for P-40 information recently, and one of the searches lead me to someone who was super detailing a P-40 kit with lots of resin AM parts. One of the things he did was make his own wheel jig so that he could produce his own diamond tread tyre pattern. Unfortunately, I cannot recall where I saw it, but if I do (or anyone else can find it), I shall post a link to it.

Regards

Derek

Derek,

I believe this is the link you are thinking of--

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/p40/p40e.html

You will see the jig down in the article. Hope this helps.

Bill M.

Hello Erik,

I was searching the internet for P-40 information recently, and one of the searches lead me to someone who was super detailing a P-40 kit with lots of resin AM parts. One of the things he did was make his own wheel jig so that he could produce his own diamond tread tyre pattern. Unfortunately, I cannot recall where I saw it, but if I do (or anyone else can find it), I shall post a link to it.

Regards

Derek

Derek,

Not that you need anything else to add to your plate right now, but a set of after-market resin P-40 wheels and tires with diamond or block tread would be nice to see. It seems all the later P-40's from P-40F to P-40N had these tires with treads of some kind. I was surprised that Hasegawa did not put them in their P-40K/M/N kits--- also surprised no one has offered them in 1/32 scale. I was planning to use a jig, as in the article, to do some diamond-tread tires for my P-40F/L's. However, I think there are a lot of folks who would like to see some diamond tread tires. Also, for that matter, a wider chord prop for the later P-40's... but that is another request probably better left for another time.

Bill M.

Derek,

Not that you need anything else to add to your plate right now, but a set of after-market resin P-40 wheels and tires with diamond or block tread would be nice to see. It seems all the later P-40's from P-40F to P-40N had these tires with treads of some kind. I was surprised that Hasegawa did not put them in their P-40K/M/N kits--- also surprised no one has offered them in 1/32 scale. I was planning to use a jig, as in the article, to do some diamond-tread tires for my P-40F/L's. However, I think there are a lot of folks who would like to see some diamond tread tires. Also, for that matter, a wider chord prop for the later P-40's... but that is another request probably better left for another time.

Bill M.

Interesting Bill - It's always nice to have a list of 'wants' for this aircraft, I shall just have to see how things go for me as far as other patterns and time go...E-mail me with a list of what you think modellers want?

Cheers

Derek

Interesting Bill - It's always nice to have a list of 'wants' for this aircraft, I shall just have to see how things go for me as far as other patterns and time go...E-mail me with a list of what you think modellers want?

Cheers

Derek

Derek,

Per your suggestion, I have emailed and PM'ed some ideas to you. Hope it helps.

Bill M.