Sea Fury FB.11 Cockpit

Highlandsniper

Hello all - my first post here although I've been lurking for a while.

I'm about to start work on the Fisher Sea Fury FB.11, and while I have amassed quite a bit of reference material I'm lacking a really good photo of the main instrument panel of a period aircraft rather than modern restoration/re-build showing the instrument faces in detail - can anyone help me please?

I'm also looking for confirmation of the seat back padding colour and that of the seat harness. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is the response I had from the Fleet Air Arm museum on the seat colour etc

ear Mr. Robinson,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Sea Fury seat cushion details. Our sea fury is particularly original inside the cockpit and still has its seat cushion fittings etc. The lower seat cushion itself is black with a grained leather finish. The seat back cushion is canvas cloth type material and is a dull grey in colour (with diamond quilt stitch pattern) edged with tan leather. This item may have been a drab olive green at one time and may have faded and become worn to a dull grey finish (not sure). The head rest cushion is tan leather. I hope that this provided you with the information that you were needing.

It may be of interest to you that I can book a special visit at the museum (specifically aimed at modellers and researchers). The ticket price is £45.00- for this you would get entrance to the museum, welcome pack brochure with matching note book pen and pencil, free meal in museum restaurant and one hour with myself on an aircraft of your choice. This would allow (where possible/practical), getting on the aircraft, sitting in the cockpit and geneally being able to be closer to an aircraft of your choice than normal.

This can only be booked in advance and with a pre telephone call to discuss arrangements (01935 842609)

If this is of interest now or in the future please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Dave Morris

Curator of Aircraft

Fleet Air Arm Museum

DaveM@fleetairarm.com

As a follow on to crobinsonh's most helpfull post, I've just located a newly published volume of the Sea Fury

sea_fury_book.jpg

FAA ILLUSTRATED HAWKER SEA FURY

SBN-13: 978-0-9559840-1-3

Price = £17.95 incl. postage - available from above site and also from ebaY

This book arrived today - frankly it's disappointing. The print quality is poor and many of the B&W only photos are so poor that detail is almost impossible to see, especially on the close-up detail photos. There are quite a few detail drawings presumably extracted from technical publications, but in most cases the correct descriptions and labels are missing.

I've ordered Tony Butler's book hoping for better things. I also have one of the pilot's notes re-prints on the way.

seafury_164.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've just received the Butler Sea Fury book today. From a modelling and entusiasts point of view, I'd say this is a much better volume. Although the majority of photos are B&W which is hardly surprising considering the Sea Fury's period of operation, they are of excellent quality and clarity, plus there are a number of pages of full colour profile illustrations and individual aircraft service historys.

seafury_164.jpg

Highly recommended.