Hurricane Mk1

hi nick,

good foraging -----but at least the prop also. depends how far you want to go i suppose. could'nt do the holmes hurri though. remember she'll look great anyway.

cheers.

hi nick,

good foraging -----but at least the prop also. depends how far you want to go i suppose. could'nt do the holmes hurri though. remember she'll look great anyway.

cheers.

Cheers mate.

What do you mean though, "couldn't do the Holmes Hurri though?"

Does the change of spinner affect that? Surely no. His was a BoB Mk1, which whould have had the Spitfire Rotol..

no mate ---sorry, the d.h. spinner and prop shape cannot be mixed with the rotol combo. no mk. 1 spits that i know off flew operationally with the hurri. style rotol.. that came with the mk. 11 spit. but many mk.V spits. still used the d.h. combo. so---depends which hurri you are doing----almost certain the holmes option uses rotol spinner and prop blades (wooden by the way.) certainly TM-V (in fighter squadrons of the royal air force) clearly shows the rotol spinner etc. and i am aware that hurris. flew in the battle with yet another spinner!!!!!!! a slightly longer version of the d.h. petite one -----phew!!!!! look at the famous photo. of 17 squadron YB-J with the popye insignia. it is nearly impossible to be pedantic on any b.o.b. sceme-----so many changes happening quickly-----the old standbye---check photos of the one your'e doing------- but hey, a bit of artistic licence is o.k. isn't it.

open up to any guys who can help here---loads of knowledge at our disposal----c'mon guys.

cheers to all

dave.

a quickie!

holmes hurri. was one of a 500 batch made by gloster aircraft co. ltd. of brockworth, england. it went to 504 as P2725 TM-B-----and can confirm rotol props. and spinner .

Mate, all this knowledge is great, but also very confusing!

So the 1/24th Spit 1a prop and spinner will be ok for the Holmes Hurri?

I'm quite set on using the "smaller spinner" of the Spit, purely for cosmetic reasons (as you all suggested), but are the blades correct?

Cheers,

Nick

hi mate,

no ----- the small d.h. spinner---not quite small enough but pretty good anyway---from the airfix spit. is no good for holmes hurri. it does however, as mentioned earlier, improve the look of the too big hurri out the box. if you want to do holmes hurri-----well, use out of the box as supplied, and live with the oversize. she'll still look good. if you want to use spit spinner(d.h.) you must----1) get spit props.

2) do a d.h. option(that is some other squadron)

3) or apply artistic licence and bugger total accuracy. failing all else it comes to mind that the otherwise less than spectacular trump. spit V has as an alternative a much better d.h. spinner AND props. someone out there must have these left over------but remember-----these do not comply with holmes hurri.(it's rotol all the way mate if this is the one your set on.

The saga continues..

I think I'm going to apply artistic licence here. I quite like the idea of the DH spinner (I thought all BoB Spits had Rotol spinners until I double checked my SAM books, realised they didn't and also found that some Hurri's had the DH spinners too).

Anyway, I'm going to let aesthetics rule this one. The Airfix Rotol really is rather large, so the DH it is.

Still going to go for the Holmes Hurri too with this combination.

As my Britmodeller chum Edgar Brooks once stated, in the absence of any pictures on the net of a plane that slammed into London at 400mph, a little artistic licence is ok!

Thanks for all your help on this and the Spitfire build though.

You are a veritable font of information, so I shall be bugging you over the course of these two builds I'm sure!

Cheers Dave.

Nick

hi nick and all,

wow---heres a one i have in alfred price's battle of britain day---------it shows a d.h. combo up front which seems like a result!------------except we don't know for sure if that is P2725. i am wondering if a trawl through the wreckage of above would yield any pointers------d.h. blades for instance were metal---rotol wood. i'll have a gander-----------------------------another point --the photo(if it is P2725 shows a yellow gas triangle detector on port wing---about mid chord and about level with gun position. i'll get back mate. by the way, check out the new spit build -------trumps. d,h. combo up front---slightly better than airfix--but the airfix can be re-profiled easy----fill the front with milliput a bit---stick it in your drill and sand it a bit more pointy. more details if you want mate.

all the best, dave.

hi,

i can't find any more on holmes hurri wreckage to say which prop/spinner . as we say, the pic. is certainly d.h.---the rotol overlapped the hurri nose---the one in the pic. does'nt, and the blades are d.h. ------ no doubt. BUT as i said --is it THAT hurri. my pennyworth would be go for it---but remember you need prop blades also, and backplate.

loads of faith, mate. dave.

hi mike,

i take your point, but there are photos of very late mk.1's with 5 spoke wheels (vasko barbic used to do a set in 32nd.) but i suppose the question comes down to ---total accurracy(very difficult) or as good as you can get it (good enough in most cases) and the spit spinner does alleviate the overly bulbous nose on the old bird.--- i fear i have given nick a headache ----sorry mate, but remember what i said all along----the airfix hurri still builds up into a beaut.

hi mike,

i take your point, but there are photos of very late mk.1's with 5 spoke wheels (vasko barbic used to do a set in 32nd.) but i suppose the question comes down to ---total accurracy(very difficult) or as good as you can get it (good enough in most cases) and the spit spinner does alleviate the overly bulbous nose on the old bird.--- i fear i have given nick a headache ----sorry mate, but remember what i said all along----the airfix hurri still builds up into a beaut.

And it'll be a beaut with a Spitfire nose. ;)

Now, where's those Asprin? :P

• 5 weeks later...

Veeeeeeerrrryyyyy slow progress on the Hurricane due to the Spitfire and Defiant builds, and the fact modelling time is zero at the moment due to family commitments.

Anyway, I made a little progress.

Finished rescribing the cowling fasteners as much as I could be bothered, inserted the IP and cockpit, glued the lower cowling panels on, glued the ailerons together and have put it all together as a dry fit. Lots of tarting up to do, but it's coming together.

I'm leaving the engine and petrol tank assembly out of the kit. I'm also not bothering with the machine gun assembly. This is partially a weight saving issue, and I'm not a believer of putting a whole bunch of effort into assembling and hiding!

The pics are grainy and I shot them without flash, so I've had to push them a bit in Photoshop, hence the colours are off a little..

_D9O8688.jpg

_D9O8687.jpg

_D9O8686.jpg

_D9O8684.jpg

_D9O8683.jpg

_D9O8682.jpg

She's a big bugger..

_D9O8680.jpg

And here, in a semi state of flyby with the 1/32nd Revell Spitfire.

_D9O8691.jpg

More to follow whenever!

Cheers,

Nick