Another Trump P-38

mrintense

Carl,

This is really looking nice, I am looking forward to seeing more here.

Here is a link that may help, there's a J cockpit in there as well.

http://www.flightof2photography.com/galler...8&startAt=6

Brian Silcox

Thanks for the kind words Brian. I looked over the photos on your site. Quite nice. One thing I am not lacking in is P-38 references. I've wanted to do a 32nd scale Lightniong since 1980 and have been collecting books since that time. What I am lacking is the ability to do the fine detail work needed to properly represent the detail in such a complex aircraft. Because I get clumsy in my work, I tend to practice the Shep Paine approach of imagineering and making the model look busy. With this kit, it's been easier because of the amount of included detail, but there is still room for additional work. What I would love to see is someone with the talent of Rodney Williams, Radi Briznan, or Brian Cauchi do one of these. Now that would be a project to watch.

Carl Smoot

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update. I've learned that as a figure painter I leave quite a bit to be desired. How people do this is beyond me. My hands shake too much. Definitely not contest qualty. The wings are glued toether and I'm in process of cleaning up the seams. Once that's done it's boom attachment time where I have to deal with poor fit between the wings and booms and vertical tails that tend to twist outward.

Carl

post-1043-1197118479.jpg

Once that's done it's boom attachment time where I have to deal with poor fit between the wings and booms and vertical tails that tend to twist outward.

Carl

Carl,

Had the same problem ofcourse, didn't get to attaching these booms either, but got them straightened out by applying heat very carefully at the vertical tails and immediately bending them inward slowly and by doing so avoided my first intention of filling up the joint seams with the booms and wingconstruction in order to get the proper stance and it turned out quite well.

Try to get a photo up shortly.

happy "38"modelling,

Jack.

Carl,

Had the same problem ofcourse, didn't get to attaching these booms either, but got them straightened out by applying heat very carefully at the vertical tails and immediately bending them inward slowly and by doing so avoided my first intention of filling up the joint seams with the booms and wingconstruction in order to get the proper stance and it turned out quite well.

Try to get a photo up shortly.

happy "38"modelling,

Jack.

Hi Jack,

I'm still considering putting in a shim in between the wing and boom to get the twist out, but I haven't made a final decision. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your "M". I have two potential road blocks to finishing mine yet to deal with. Custom decals and making a base. The base is relatively easy but because of the size needed it will have to be made from raw lumber rather than buying a pre-made base. The decals however are definitely a problem. I want to use masks for the major insignia and lettering, but the nose art requires a decal. The problem is that I do not have the illustration software to create the artwork and then I need to come up with a means of getting them printed. Fortunately I have a good quality photo of the artwork directly from the original pilot of the aircraft.

Cheers,

Carl

Carl, have the same problem on the decal subject, i'm not "current" with homemade decals either, but a solution will pop up, i hope.

The baseproblem shouldn't be that big, should it?

I'm without digi camera for a while (borrowed the camera to my son who wanted to try the SLR on board during his cockpitwork) but as soon as i've got some pictures i'll put it on the web.

Doing a kind of multi-multi project now, finishing the paint screw-up on the Kingfisher, assembling the "M" lightning and building further on the PTO boat (Italeri 1/35).

Have fun.

Jack.

Carl, have the same problem on the decal subject, i'm not "current" with homemade decals either, but a solution will pop up, i hope.

The baseproblem shouldn't be that big, should it?

I'm without digi camera for a while (borrowed the camera to my son who wanted to try the SLR on board during his cockpitwork) but as soon as i've got some pictures i'll put it on the web.

Doing a kind of multi-multi project now, finishing the paint screw-up on the Kingfisher, assembling the "M" lightning and building further on the PTO boat (Italeri 1/35).

Have fun.

Jack.

The base by itself is no big deal however it will have clear plexiglass cover over it and because of the size, will probably have wooden corner supports (again, haven't decided yet). The inflight dio is representing the aircraft just after rotation with the wheels coming up. I plan to show a portion of the runway possibly bluring any runway markings to simulate motion. Till the next posting.

Cheers

Carl

HI Looking good. I know what you are talking about as far as figures go. I have never been able to paint one that even comes close to resembling a real person. Maybe some of the guys here can give you some ideas.

Texas :lol: :lol: :lol:

HI Looking good. I know what you are talking about as far as figures go. I have never been able to paint one that even comes close to resembling a real person. Maybe some of the guys here can give you some ideas.

Texas :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've got scads of articles on how to paint figures, I've read 'em all several times. But when you have two sides of beef for hands and can't see past the end of your nose, well... Nuff said!!!

Actually, I was considering this very issue today and I might buy a 54mm figure and some oils and give it a go separate from an airplane kit. I truly would like to master this ability.

Carl

I've got scads of articles on how to paint figures, I've read 'em all several times. But when you have two sides of beef for hands and can't see past the end of your nose, well... Nuff said!!!

Actually, I was considering this very issue today and I might buy a 54mm figure and some oils and give it a go separate from an airplane kit. I truly would like to master this ability.

Carl

HI Yep I know what your talking about. I am in about the same shape (Big hands and half blind to boot) but I still am having fun building models.

Texas ;) ;) B)

Well it's been a bit since my last update. So you all don't think I'm sluffing off, I have been working on the P-38. I've attached the nose panels and replaced the gun barrels. No pictures for now primarily because for the last week all I've been doing is filling in seams, smoothing them out and restoring surface detail. Extremely tedious and boring, but I make myself do some every day so that I can continue moving forward. Once the nose is complete, it's time to attach the booms and then another round of seam filling. I'll post some picts of the model once the booms are attached so please bear with me for now. IN the meantime, there are plenty of excellent models on this forum to follow along. \

Cheers

Carl Smoot

Thanks for the kind comments. I look at other's work on figures including sculpting details and just react with awe. The same goes for the amount of detail being created. It's very inspiring to see this work and frustrating at the same time because I would like to be able to produce kits with that level of detail. I'm not there yet but I will keep trying. One thing I have found is that the right tools make a huge difference. Case in point, on my P-38, I've been using a straight pin mounted in a pin vise for my scribing. I've been using this for some years because it worked better than the store bought scriber I had before. And because of inertia, I have never tried any other techniques for scribing, until last night. I recently recived a new razor saw from Hawkeye Models and I had heard that it was very good at scribing straight lines. So I gave it a try on the armament access doors on the nose of my P-38 (they fit so bad I had to superglue fill all the seams and rescribe). The saw cut very fine lines and even better, cut nice lines in the superglue, which has been a problem for me for quite some time. So now, I have a new technique I can use and I've resolved to trying to not get stuck in a technique rut in the future.

Carl Smoot

HI No one should feel bad about there model or there model building skills or tools. We all are doing it as a hobby and a hobby is supposed to be fun yes fun. So as long as a modeler is having fun then keep building. I know many modelers that are more talented and build better models than I do but I do the best I can and as long as I am having fun doing it I am going to keep building. I may be weird but I build models to suite my self and I don't really care if anyone else likes them or not. So we shoud all do the best we can and most of all have fun building models

Just my two cents

Texas ;) :P B)

HI No one should feel bad about there model or there model building skills or tools. We all are doing it as a hobby and a hobby is supposed to be fun yes fun. So as long as a modeler is having fun then keep building. I know many modelers that are more talented and build better models than I do but I do the best I can and as long as I am having fun doing it I am going to keep building. I may be weird but I build models to suite my self and I don't really care if anyone else likes them or not. So we shoud all do the best we can and most of all have fun building models

Just my two cents

Texas :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Right you are. I too build for enjoyment, but at the same time I strive to get better. This is probably my primary hobby and I want to get as good at it as I can. On another note, how's the weather up in Amarillo? From what I can see on the news, you guys are getting hammered while it's just rainy down here in Austin.

Carl

Right you are. I too build for enjoyment, but at the same time I strive to get better. This is probably my primary hobby and I want to get as good at it as I can. On another note, how's the weather up in Amarillo? From what I can see on the news, you guys are getting hammered while it's just rainy down here in Austin.

Carl

HI We got about two or three inches of snow last night and had a north wind blowing most of today. It's been cold but I haven't had to get outside so it hasn't been to bad. The sun came out this afternoon and the wind died down. I thank they got more snow NE of us but I haven't watched any weather today. I bet y'all can use the rain. I have a son that lives in Jarrell about 40 miles north of Austin and if I remember right he said it had been dry there.

Your P-38 is looking good so have fun with it.

Texas :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, got the nose cleaned up and the surface detail restored. Next is the canopy windscreen (I decided to do this before doing the booms because it will be easier to do any seam filling, and repair around the windscreen with the booms out of the way. But before I can install the windscreen I need to get some masks so I can paint the interior color of the frames. So it may be awhile before I put up another update.

For those interested, the Razor saw I bought from Hawkeye Models worked absolutely great for scribing both through plastic and CA. Nice fine lines and no jumping out of the scribe path as long as a light touch is used.

Any comments welcome.

Carl Smoot

post-1043-1197850400.jpg