Trumpeter's P-38

Ted Taylor

Any pictures of the wheel wells? I'd love to see how Trumpeter did them. I only have the Revell kit.

Also, wasn't there the early round windscreen with the Cutting Edge set?

http://acc.kitreview.com/cec32156reviewbg_1.htm

I think I took some pics of the well will try to find them.

P-38wheelbay.jpg

Yes the other wind shield is in the set but I could not get it to sit down properly , the panel stopped it seating fully as the screen is pretty thick so I informed Dave Klaus and he said he would check and try to rectify it, of course it may have been my poor construction but as you see the kit version fitted OK.

I tried thinning the resin screen but still could not get it down closer than 1mm and I had a dead line for the mag so I went the easy route.

Ted

last few

These are bits that come in the kit

p-38kitbits.jpg

Cutting Edge camera nose note how clear the resin windows are

p-38cameranose.jpg

I eventually decided to wind down the side windows as they were like car windows with winders which are reproduced in the sets

to do this I just cut off the bottom edges of the clear bits and set the tops in position lower down.

note also the polished oval which the pilots use to view the U/C legs are working as prescribed, the kit nacelles have a glass window where this should be but that is totally false it should just be a polished metal area, I just used a bit of chrome Sellotape (scotch tape) cut to shape

p-38cabin.jpg

hope you liked these

Wow, looks great!!!

Were the windows really winders? I thought that they folded up or out like a P-51B's. I thought only the P-39 had the winders? Gonna have to check on that one.

Yes, they are. There are little cranks on the left and right cockpit sides for that purpose.

Wow, looks great!!!

Were the windows really winders? I thought that they folded up or out like a P-51B's. I thought only the P-39 had the winders? Gonna have to check on that one.

Believe me I would not have said so If they weren't

Ted

Great work Ted, a highlight of the current mag, but then again your articles generally are. I was all over this especially as I have been involved with the restoration of two early model P-38s over the years, a P-38F in Papua New Guinea and a P-38H here in Adelaide South Australia.

Pity about the windscreen issue as that was a major identifying feature if the early pre-J Lightnings but I understand why you had to use it. In 1/48 it is one of the things wrong with the Hasegawa early P-38 boxing as the windscreen contors are bolloxed on that.

Incidentally, the picture of the photoetched "details" for the guns that you didn't use are of interest as I have never seen a P-38 with slotted vents in the barrels, only circular holes or solid chromed cover tubes and that is examples I saw in PNG recovered from the jungle and onsite wrecks.

A brilliant build anyway and I concur on your description of the side windows, that is how they were.

Cheers

Tony