Revell Seafire Mk1B to Spitfire

dogzboz

I've just bought an old Revell Seafire Mk1B and I was wondering what modifications this kit would need to make it into a Spitfire Mk 1. Is this possible or not really feasible. Which is the best early marks Spitfire kit out there in 1/32.

Rob

The basic kit was a Mk.I, and was never altered. From what I can remember, all you (should) need to do is leave off the the hook, cannon, and cannon bulges, and it will revert to the Mk.I. A better basis, though, would be the Revell/Hasegawa I/II, which is a conversion of the not-quite-as-old Hasegawa VB. At the time, the Revell Spitfire was hailed as the best thing, since sliced bread, but it doesn't really compare to today's kits, especially since the wing underside is flat, not curved to a gull-wing shape, as it should be, and the cockpit is very bare, needing Waldron's extras.

Edgar

Couldnt aggree more with Edger on this one. The mold you have dates from 1969 apart from what Edger has allready mentioned

the exhausts and wheels need throwing in the bin , the wheelwells will need boxing in and the propeller blades will need reprofileing or replacement. The good points about this kit in my opinion are the spinner is the right shape and the surface detail

is one of Revells better efforts also it leaves scope to display the engine if you desire.

I would stick to the Revell / Hasagawa issue , this is the old Hasagawa MKVB kit with very nice engraved wings for a MK1 and will

give you an easy option with much less work.

Thanks for your replies, I agree wth Keith in that the 'the good points about this kit in my opinion are the spinner is the right shape and the surface detail is one of Revells better efforts also it leaves scope to display the engine if you desire'..... I was thinking of doing a 603 (City of Edinburgh) squadron Mk 1 aircraft, (my local squadron) not sure which one yet. I've checked MDC and this seems a good option for the Mk1 correction set, ie prop blades, exhausts and the Eduard Sutton harness. I've been trawling the archives as well for oletcherfreds cockpit panel but couldn't find it, can anyone help me with this? Also can anyone point me in the direction of decals?

Regards

Rob

Sorry guys it is not Exactly the same kit......the spinner on the seafire looks to be much more pointed, and revell actually made a mold change to represent this.

But I do agree that there are much better models by other manufacurers and aftermarket companies to get the spitfire you are looking to build

Jon Payne

Ok Rob , here we go. First up our friends at Eduard will give you etched brass sets for interior and exterior , but be warned the

seat is way too big , also Aires have just released a full cockpit in resin for the Hasagawa MKVB which with a little modification

should be ok for a MK1 (Best bet )

Meanwhile those really great guys over at MDC will only be to happy to provide you with a new Spinner , oil cooler and seat

should you wish to change the kit items.

Moving stright in is Mr Neil Burkell of Paragon Designs fame check out the five spoke buldged wheels .

Not to be out done MDC can also give you the best amount of options for Spitfire conversions should you have the urge to build

a later mark of Spitfire

Decals or rather the lack of :- Amazingly very few sheets have been issued for a 32nd Spitfire, only these come to mind but i am

sure other guys will add to the list.

Micro scale produced a sheet for i think 4 or 5 Spits including NK-K MD-D ? ? maybe QV-K

Eagle Strike have sheet no 32004 5 options for a MKVB

Tally Ho decals sheet no TYS 32007 Spitfire stencil Data plus command Pennants

Tec Mod sheet no 32001 3 options for a MKVB , JH-M , WX-T , ZX-A

Thats all i can think of at the moment Rob but im sure i have only scratched the surface and no doubt the other guys will add to this list. <_<

Thats all i can think of at the moment Rob but im sure i have only scratched the surface and no doubt the other guys will add to this list. <_<

Rob and Keith,

A more nearly complete list of 1/32 Spitfire markings is appended below. However, it doesn't include the Tally Ho sheet that Keith mentioned, because I don't have it.

Charles Metz

---------------------------

Spitfire Prototype: Supermarine Spitfire Prototype; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Ventura [New Zealand] - product no. V3271; MEDIUM/MEDIA: decal; MARKINGS: Spitfire Prototype; AVAILABILITY: in production

Spitfire Ia: Flt. Lt. B.J.E. Lane's Spitfire Mk. I, Battle of Britain; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Micro Scale/Super Scale International [uSA] - product no. 32-108; MEDIUM/MEDIA: decal; MARKINGS: B.J.E. Lane's Spitfire Ia "QV•K" of No. 19 Squadron, Battle of Britain; AVAILABILITY: out of production

Spitfire IIa, Spitfire Vb: RAF Spitfires: 118 Sq., 133 Eagle sq., 309 Poznan Sq., 224 sq.; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Micro Scale / Super Scale International [uSA] - product no. 32-032; MEDIUM/MEDIA: decal; MARKINGS: Spitfire IIa "NK•K" of No. 118 Squadron; Spitfire Vb "MD•A" of No. 133 "Eagle" Squadron; Ian Gleed's Spitfire Vb "IR•G" of No. 224 Squadron; Spitfire Vb "WX•T" of No. 309 "Poznan" Squadron; AVAILABILITY: out of production

Spitfire Vb: Canadian Spitfire; 1/32 scale; manufactured by WaterMark [Canada] - product no. [none]; MEDIUM/MEDIA: decal; MARKINGS: RCAF Spitfire Vb "YO•A" [EN921, with nude nose art] of 410 Squadron, RCAF, September 1943; AVAILABILITY: unknown

Spitfire Vb: Eagle Squadron: Spitfire Mk. Vb's; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Eagle Strike Productions [uSA] - product no. 32004; MEDIUM/MEDIA: decal; MARKINGS: Don Gentile's Spitfire Vb "Buckeye Don" [MD•T] of 133 [Eagle] Squadron, RAF, Biggin Hill, August 1942; Duane Beeson's Spitfire Vb "Stinky" [XR•B] of the 334th FS, 4th FG, USAAF, Debden, October 1942; Leroy Gover's Spitfire Vb "MD•B" of the 336th FS, 4th FG, USAAF, Debden, October 1942; AVAILABILITY: unknown

Spitfire Vb: Supermarine Spitfire Mk. Vb; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Techmod [Poland] - product no. 32001; MEDIUM/MEDIA: decal; MARKINGS: Lt. Jan Zumbach's Spitfire Vb "RF•D", 303 Sdn., RAF, March 1942; Lt. Jan Zumbach's Spitfire Vb "RF•D", 303 Sdn., RAF, May 1942; Lt. Jan Zumbach's Spitfire Vb "RF•D", 303 Sdn., RAF, Summer 1942; Spitfire Vb "WX•T", 303 Sdn., RAF, February 1943; F/O M. Dreckiego's Spitfire Vb "ZX•A" [tropical camouflage], 145 Sdn., RAF, July 1943; AVAILABILITY: in production

Spitfire Vb, Spitfire PR.IV: American Spitfires Mk V & Russian PR IV; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Ventura [New Zealand] - product no. V3260; MEDIUM/MEDIA: decal; MARKINGS: Spitfire PR.IV "ZM•P" of 12th RS, 67TH RG, Operation "Torch", 1943; Spitfire PR.IV "01" of Soviet Air Force [with red stars in 10 positions!]; AVAILABILITY: in production

Spitfire Vb, Spitfire XIVc, P-51D: Spitfire Mk. Vb 322 Dutch Sqn RAF, P-51D 122 Sqn , RNEIAF; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Dutch Decal [Netherlands] - product no. 32002; MEDIUM/MEDIA: decal; MARKINGS: F/O van Eijk's Spitfire Vb "VL•A" of 322 [Dutch] Squadron, RAF, Hornschurch, July 1943; Spitfire Vb "VL•E" of 322 [Dutch] Squadron, RAF, Hornschurch, 1943; Spitfire Mk. XIVc "3W•F" of 322 [Dutch] Squadron, RAF, 1944 [serial numbers not provided]; P-51D "Black 15" of 122 Squadron , RNEIAF, Medan AFB, Sumatra, 1947; AVAILABILITY: unknown

Spitfire Vc: Spitfire Vcs [Trop]: 452 Sq & 457 Sq; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Micro Scale / Super Scale International [uSA] - product no. 32-008; MEDIUM/MEDIA: decal; MARKINGS: Lou Spence's Spitfire Vc "QY•V" of No. 452 Squadron, RAAF; Spitfire Vc "ZP•D" of No. 457 Squadron, RAAF; Jack Newton's Spitfire Vc "ZP•T" of No. 457 Squadron, RAAF; "Butch" Hamilton's Spitfire Vc "ZP•X" of No. 457 Squadron, RAAF; AVAILABILITY: out of production

[generic]: RAF Commander pennants; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Archer Fine Transfers [uSA] - product no. NE32007; MEDIUM/MEDIA: dry transfer; MARKINGS: RAF Commander pennants [six different styles]; AVAILABILITY: out of production

[generic]: RAF Roundels [Types A, A1 and B] and Fin Flash; 1/32 scale; manufactured by WaterMark [Canada] - product no. [none]; MEDIUM/MEDIA: decal; MARKINGS: 45" Type A roundels; 36" Type A1 roundels; 48" Type B roundels; 24"x30" Type A fin flash [two of each]; AVAILABILITY: unknown

[generic]: Spitfire Maintenance Stencils; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Archer Fine Transfers [uSA] - product no. MA32005C; MEDIUM/MEDIA: dry transfer; MARKINGS: All Spitfire stencil markings; AVAILABILITY: out of production

[generic]: Spitfire Roundels [set 1]; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Archer Fine Transfers [uSA] - product no. NE32001; MEDIUM/MEDIA: dry transfer; MARKINGS: 49" Type A roundels; 34" Type A1 roundels; 55" Type B roundels; 21"x32" Type A fin flashes [two of each]; AVAILABILITY: out of production

[generic]: Spitfire Roundels [set 2]; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Archer Fine Transfers [uSA] - product no. NE32002; MEDIUM/MEDIA: dry transfer; MARKINGS: 49" Type A roundels; 35" Type C1 roundels; 55" Type B roundels; 24"x24" Type C fin flashes [two of each]; AVAILABILITY: out of production

[generic]: Spitfire "Scribbles" [Airframe Maintenance and Service Data]; 1/32 scale; manufactured by Arrow Graphics [Canada] - product no. B-82-32; MEDIUM/MEDIA: decal; MARKINGS: Airframe maintenance and service data only; AVAILABILITY: unknown

[generic]: Spitfire Stencils ver 1.1; 1/32 scale; manufactured by HobbyDecal [Japan] - product no. ST32005V1.1; MEDIUM/MEDIA: dry transfer; MARKINGS: Spitfire stencil markings; AVAILABILITY: in production

Guys, thanks again for your replies, there's a lot of work gone into these!

I think I've nearly decided which 603 squadron aircraft to do, the decal info is handy as it looks like I'll need to buy the roundels, stencils and letters separately, I'm going with the MDC correction set and Fred's cockpit set. Looks like the price of the kit is the cheapest part of this project! :)

Rob

Thats usually the case when your building an old kit , but then again thats all part of the fun.

If i was building a Spit MK1 i would take this route :-

Kit :- Revell / Hasagawa Spitfire MK1-2 ( The one with the new wings. )

Fuslarge . From 1st issue Revell Spitfire if possible mated to the new wings ( Gives you nice surface detail and engine option )

Cockpit :- Aires Resin replacement

Spinner & oil cooler conversion from MDC

Decals from various sources.