Trumpeter 1/24 Bf109G6-Y

ChrisS

Looking good Chris! What is a G-6Y variant anyway?

BTW, here is what I just got in my Aeromaster/Eagle Strike newsletter:

"Those of you who bought the Trumpeter 1/24 BF109 Kit (the first two 109G-6, early and late version), will have nine more schemes to choose from. Some Aces are featured and some Home Defense Aircraft. These decals are designed to provide a replacement for a couple of German words that were misspelled."

They are also going to release a 1/32 version of their Marseille sheet!

G6-Y was an interceptor derivitive that featured Erla Haube canopy, long tailwheel, Molane-Antenna for FuG16ZY radio (antenna that is on the port wing underside from a "clear" port.

A few of these ended up in Finnish service AFTER the war. The one I am doing is MT-508.

post-4-1075383366.jpg

and 1 more.

Iam sure you have this info, but just in case. a lot of people put either the finnish blue and white circles or the finnish swastika on the upper wing, but it actually had a large letter B on the upper wing surface. I am not sure what the whiteish blotch is on the wing but the B is visible. mybee this would help. the model looks fantastic by the way.

ps if anyone van find info on the plane behind it in the first pic let me know!! :)

post-4-1075386545.jpg

Great info Joshua!

I have seen a few different guesses at the port upper wing scheme, yours seems most logical. There is another one that suggests some white striping...I'll post a pic later this week. Maybe you can help me figure out the most sensible scheme :)

The prop is heavily worn RLM80 with bare metal showing through. Many Finnish runways used sand and that wore prop finishes down pretty quickly.

This scheme was used for an airshow in 1950, so no swastikas would be present. The "A" aircraft is rumored to be a red/yellow scheme, and apparently there were C, and D aircraft that competed in an air race at the show. All markings were port side only and this should make for a striking finish!

Thanks for the pics Joshua.

Hey Chris,

Still enjoying each update on your 109G-6! :) I think that should read 6-Y.

Is the clear fuel piping exclusive only to the 6-Y or did all G-6 models have this clear section in the fuel line next to the pilot? By the way, where did you find plastic rod in the correct diameter for the fuel hose?

The model is REALLY starting to look good! Can't wait to see what else you have in store for this product. Like Joshua; I too, am interseted in seeing the finished project. For me, I would really love to see how you create the blue checker board pattern on the fuselage!

Keep up the good work,

David