Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'correction'.
G'day Guys, Well I'm doing something I've tried for a long time not to do; have two build logs going at once. The difference, aside from them being 2 different versions of the B-17 (I have 3 all up), is that for a while, this build will exist mainly as a virtual one. With so much discussion about the shape of the nose and what HK did or didn't get right, I've decided to embark on a quest to see if I can come up with a decent rendition that has the right "look." My aim here is NOT to produce an aftermarket correction set to go on sale to the masses, more so to investigate where the lines of the kit differ from that of the factory drawings, and mainly centred around the nose. It's my intention to produce a 3D printed replacement section that is a blend between actual dimensions and kit ones in order to make the thing work. There will be compromises; as I have said, I'm trying to recreate the "look" of the B-17. The reason I am initially keeping this as a "virtual-ish" build for now is that I want to keep progressing with the C, but this will provide the groundwork for what will eventually become an F and an E build, but with most of the hard work already done here. Think of this for now as more of a study.......Hopefully you can join me on my journey! Phase 1 - Establishing the reference Ok guys, no surprises here. The HK kit in all its glory. Unfortunately with the way the kit is constructed, in order to establish a proper datum point for reference, I need to do some dissection. Think back to my early C model days, it gets gory here! Most discussion so far has been centred around the incorrect shape of the #3 bulkhead. Unfortunately as I have discovered, correcting the #3 is not the end of the story. I had always had suspicion that not only was the bottom nose profile off, I also suspect that the profile is wrong when viewed from above. If you study pics of a real Fort, the HK version always looks a bit too fat for my liking. To me the best place to start is the #4 bulkhead, as at least I can reference any changes to the cockpit from here too. Despite the #4 bulkhead actually being on a receding angle in the real thing, the HK part is installed at 90 degrees. I'm not going to lose sleep over that, and in any case I need the shape at the #4 as my master reference dimensions to allow the new nose to graft hopefully seamlessly onto the existing fuselage...... Next up I scaled and traced the outline of the E/F nose profile for comparison in Rhino. I then traced the outline of the HK fuselage, shown here in blue. I overlayed the factory drawing and this is what I got..... As you can see, it's not only the top, but also a large portion of the bottom which is oversized (agreeing with my original suspicions). I'm not entirely sure about the overall length, as this really has to do with where you take the datum point to be on the #4 bulkhead, but in any case, it would really only be a mm or two longer at most. In order to be able to match up any new sections I make with the existing fuselage, matching my work to the #4 bulkhead for size will be critical. This is where I am deviating a little from strict dimensional accuracy - remember the priority here is "the look." When I scaled up the factory drawing to the match the kit, this is what I got.... Looks like the kit nose cone will be about 0.8mm too tall, so I'll have that challenge to look at when I get to it, and I get the feeling it may be out on profile too, but my next update will address that. I haven't had a look from the top down yet, and I suspect that similar to what I saw with the underside profile, the kit will be too fat. I get the feeling that the nose of the real thing tapers a lot further back than the #3 where HK have it, but we'll soon see..... Anyway this has been a lot of fun so far, and something I've been going to do for ages. I certainly hope this answers some questions for a lot of you out there..... Cheers! Craig
Dear prop fanatics, for those who are unhappy with the Revell props there is a light on the end of the tunnel. Henri released correction sets, to order/buy via email. 01. VS-5 for Ju 87B-2/R-2 for TRU (3 delivery options available) - only props - props and new spinner - props, spinner & hub 02. VS 11 for Ju 87 D. For REV & HAS (2 delivery options available) - Props with hub and spinner back-plate (spinner from HAS or REV can be used) - Complete set props, spinner & hub 03. VS 11 for Ju 87 G € for REV & HAS (2 delivery options availabley) - Props with hub and spinner back-plate (spinner from HAS or REV can be used) - Complete set props, spinner & hub 04. VS 11 for He 111 H-6, only complete set 2x(propes, spinner & hub) 05. Ju 88 A-4 VS 11 line 3 und VS 11 line 6 --> available over ebay.de. "Baureihe 3" --> line 3 or --> available over ebay.de. "Baureihe 6" --> line 6 06. VDM for BF 109 G-6 narrow props, spinner and hub 07. Bf 110 G/F full set 08. VDM set wide blade for BF 109 G-10 / G-14 / K props and spinner 09. Fw 190 A-9 VDM Wooden props, fan and spinner 10. Fw 190 D-9 VS 111 props and spinner 11. Bf 109 E "Cyber Hobby/Dragon" props and spinner 12. Bf 109 E "Eduard" props and spinner 13. Bf 110 C & D "Dragon/Cyber Hobby" props and spinner You can mail to Henri to order or ask for availability or price, but please be patient if he do not replay immediately as I said his English is poor and maybe he need help from family or he is busy (work or holiday). Henri is a very open minded funny person. It's said that he can't communicate in this forum. Henris email: HenriDaehne@gmx.de Edit 06AUG2017 No selling over EBay only via Email Cheers Ralph