1/32 Hasegawa Zero

GVINCENT

haven't seen any builds of this kit. Is there a (pre-Tamiya) reason for this? I have a couple in the pile and really haven't checked them out yet. I got them cheap right before I heard about the Tamiya Zero. Guess those guys knew about the Tamiya kit and dumped the Hasegawa offering. I know it's old.

I was just wondering if there are any pitfalls(advice) I should look out for.

Thanks in advance.

Gary V.

Hey Gary,

I am building this little beasty right now for a "What If" RAAF project...I have to say that for the money I paid (about 30AUD) I cant fault it. The surface detail is recessed and not bad at all. The engine is quite complex...surprising as there is no built in way to display it. Although I havent compared it for accuracy at all as all I'm after is the overall look of a Zero, which it definitely has

The only problems I have found with mine is a small warp to the fuse which was easily fixed and some brittle plastic on one of my sprues which just means extra care is required, I found this out when I snapped the axle on the main gear.

All in all it has been a pain free build in the most part and a better builder than me could really go to town on it.

I will see if I can get some photos happening tonight if there is decent light to be had so that you can see for yourself

Thanks for the input! The one I have is in a Hasegawa/MiniCraft box and look pretty old. The detail looks OK for me, (not amazing like my Tamiya I'm too afraid to build!) but are you rescribing or re-riveting any of the airframe. I don't think I should (at this point). The wing guns (not all) are no longer atached to the wing but still attached to the sprue. I think that was bad planning on Hasegawa's part.

Thanks for your input! I just went to the garage and pulled it out! I would love to see pictures of your project! I'm still limited as far as posting my stuff (I'm lame)

Looking forward to seeing your Zero!

Gary V.

I have built one and sold it. With a little care it can be a great model. Esp with the stuff that is out there now. I did it out of the box as Takeo Tanimizu's aircraft. I threw a scribe on it and thats it. I think cmk does some internal external stuff for the tamyia kit that can be used. Eduard also did a metal set. Great little model. If fact with all the corsairs running around I just might do one for myself.

Rob

Be mindful that the old Hasegawa kit is an A6M5c of which less than 100 were built. They are characterized by the thickened plating on the gun covers and the underwing racks for small antipersonnel bombs, so you'd need to file/sand these off to replicate one of the more numerous A6M5b's which were pretty ubiquitous over the home islands, SE ASia, Taiwan, the Philippines and other Pacific islands.

phil