Eduard P-47D Thunderbolt "Dottie Mae" WIP

Guest DannyVM

Well done Danny.  

Question for you.  What are those black leading edges areas on the tail feathers for?   I may have missed something earlier.  Sorry.  

The bird looks awesome by the way.   I recall reading about the actual recovery of this aircraft a while back.  To see the actual aircraft flying these days is a remarkable achievement.   

Your model is is spot on.  

Troy. 

6 hours ago, dennismcc said:

That looks great, the metal finish looks good to me, I must give a NMF subject a go sometime.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank's Dennis, i love to work with Alclad, but with this project something turned out the wrong way. In a certain matter the Alclad polished aluminium didn't went very smooth onto the surface. That's why this project took some time to get back at.

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Love it! 

Thank's Brian.

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Well done Danny.  

Question for you.  What are those black leading edges areas on the tail feathers for?   I may have missed something earlier.  Sorry.  

The bird looks awesome by the way.   I recall reading about the actual recovery of this aircraft a while back.  To see the actual aircraft flying these days is a remarkable achievement.   

Your model is is spot on.  

Troy. 

Thank's Troy, 

to be honest, i only know the story that i read so i don't know much more about the black leading edges. According to history, Dottie Mae had a yellow band on her vertical tail, but from the moment she was put into action they changed the yellow band into a red one, and the leading edges of the horizontal tail and vertical tail where painted black. Maybe others can shed some more light onto this why they did it.

2 hours ago, Flipper said:

HGW is about to release a riveting set for this kit.

Would give a nice extra touch to the model.