Special Hobby P-36 Hawk 75A

SciFi58

Hey Everyone!  

I've started a new project, and everyone here who knows me well enough is laughing because, as Tina Turner would say it, "I nevah finish nothin'!!!!"  But I'm gonna give it the ol' college try and not just add another kit to the shelf of good intentions broken promises.

This will be Phil Rasmussen's plane that he flew at Pearl Harbor as the "Pajama" Pilot.

I'm just about ready to paint the cockpit and I'm stuck on color, inside and out.  My research has revealed that pre-war aircraft were either bare metal, silver dope, or gloss varnished bare metal - inside and out.  I'm sticking with the last two as, especially in the Pacific, bare metal was asking for trouble.  Like when I'm playing my combat flight simulator and all of a sudden, after getting shot at, there is an eerie silence and I switch to external view and my engine's gone, only in this case it would be due to corrosion.

Does anyone have any other information about number 86?  I figure the real colors are arbitrary as no one knows for sure unless they were there or heard from someone who was.  I was pretty much set on Alclad aluminum or polished aluminum with a final coat of future for the bare metal/glass varnish option just because, without definitive info, I like that option the best.

Thanks for the advice as I should have pictures of the cockpit up later tonight, or later this morning or early tomorrow, depending on your own personal time of day, nature imposed or self imposed or otherwise.

Here are some pics of the cockpit coming along.  I flung the tank on the right side into oblivion so I fashioned a replacement out of sprue with Tamiya tape straps.  I still need to fashion and handle.  Also, the main throttle lever broke off and the kit is missing a knob to begin with, as per my references, so I am replacing/adding it with little spheres from the freshness packet thingies that come with everything.  I keep some secure and out of reach of our pets.

SHP36HawkCockpit1_1.jpg

SHP36HawkCockpit2.jpg