P-51D-5-NA "Jan" QP-D

xmh53wrench

Totally agree - the silver paint to the NMF looks right on the money

Keep 'em coming

Peter

OK, I know this is more of the same, but with a bit of humility I think I have stumbled upon the perfect Aluminum Paste finish.....LOL

Soooo......If you have buried in your paint stash some spray bomb Chrome Aluminum (mine is Ace #17006), Testors Dull Coat #1260, and Rustoleum 7701 Crystal Clear....here is what I did.  Layed down a few coats of the Chrome Aluminum with a quick scotch bright (red) scuff in between the coats.  After drying, 2 light coats of the Dull Coat.  This totally kills that mirror finish and provides a very very soft silver color (see my drop tanks).  Now if you believe the paste did not have any sort of sheen to it, then stop here.  But I am inclined to believe that the varnish liquid that the aluminum paste was mixed with was bound to have some sort of gloss, besides any Crew Chief worth his salt would have those wings waxed nice and smooth for his "stick".  So I then put a couple medium coats over the Dull Coat and wait for your jaw to drop......now put this part against something NMF....and smile....

CAM02145_zps0ad1cb1d.jpg

I decided to re-do my elevators using this method, and am much happier with the outcome.  But, now I am wondering if I shouldnt have filled all the rivits to look more like the rudder (what are your thoughts????)

CAM02147_zps554c8281.jpg

NOW, for a big question.  In your folks opinion, are the INSIGNIA/wing stripes colors (red, blue, white, black) gloss, semi, or matte?  This is so hard to tell in photos.  I am contemplating spraying my insignias rather than going with decals.

Bit more fiddling about.

Some assembly of the fuselage finally, and some paint work on the engine cowling.

I need to fab a bulkhead at the empannage seam and behind the tail wheel well.  Its also going to take some modifying of the tail gear and pivot to put it in a somewhat proper gear in transit position.

CAM02167_zpsb6774f10.jpg

CAM02161_zps52c6ab4a.jpg

CAM02165_zpsb2cd549d.jpg

Yes, but best I have found is "Gorilla Supper Glue". It has a bit of rubber base so it has much better shear strength. I buy mine at Lowes stores.......Harv

Thanks a heap Harv!!

Well buttoned up the pit, put Lt. Dickmeyer in his place, and proceeded to close up the fuselage.  Also did a test fit of the canopy, not too shabby, but does need a bit of work.  How does the OOB profile of this canopy look to you Geoff?  ....Although I did forget to modify the canopy latch to an early latch....DOH!!

CAM02172_zps158d8827.jpg

CAM02174_zps5f0e0876.jpg

CAM02173_zps74f1cf8c.jpg

CAM02175_zps27bcf19c.jpg

CAM02180_zps6da33511.jpg

Well more playing with paints for my NMF.  I have a set of wings that are my continuous test bed.  Also the shelf on my model bench is natural mill finished .063 aluminum, so probably a pretty good sample of what I am trying to match.

So here is a couple of coats of my Ace Hardware Chrome Aluminum paint on the wing vs, my aluminum shelf.  Note the reflection.

CAM02181_zps6ca42b6b.jpg

CAM02182_zpscfb136ce.jpg

Now to see how it will stand up to masking and decals in a few days.

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Wonderful technique for the Aluminum Paste finish .. definitely going to have to give it a try. Harv is absolutely correct, the best way to glue resin to platsic or metal is with CCA. Recently, I switched from Gorilla CCA to Loctite Profesional Liquid and Loctite Liquid - both Super Glues. They set up very quickly and the bond is extremely strong and clean.

Peter

Thanks guys. Chipping away, more sanding and smoothing on the wings prior to gluing them up, so then all I have to deal with is the leading edge. Trying to be humble but my cheesy phone camera pics arent doing the paint colors justice. Silver is so hard to photograph. Also, contemplating swiping an Airfix Merlin to replace the OOB powerplant.

Well buttoned up the wings, and sanded down my elevators and put a coat of primer on them in the hopes of making them appear to be covered in fabric.  And just before hanging it up for tonight, did a bit of visualizing.....oh ya, and whacked off the dorsal fin, guess I am all in now for an early D.

CAM02186_zpse9ff67e2.jpg

CAM02188_zpse05451d5.jpg

CAM02184_zps34d44c5d.jpg

Seeing a bit of light at the end of the tunnel....but still a ways to go.   Also dug out an Airfix Merlin and going to glue it up to see what its going to take to fit it to the H/C engine cradle.

Lou,

Like I said, you're doing the old girl justice. There isn't much you can do with this kit or the Airfix unless you're ready to spend lots of time making corrections...lots of them. I've looked at the Trumpeter kit. It bares a striking resemblance to my big Mustang in its dimensions and out line; right down to the oddly shaped canopy assembly.

You're doing quite nicely with something that's difficult, at best, to make right. Keep up the good work. You're doing just fine.

Cheers,

Geoff

Thank you guys, very very humbled by your remarks.  I am really enjoying this after my bit of a break.  Not even that bothered by the canopy any longer.

Thanks!!!!

PS Geoff....what are your thoughts on what was painted and not painted in the gun bays and access panels???

Edited by xmh53wrench

Just like the real thing boys.....

.....well maybe not exactly, but I am going to be concentrating my primer coats on the forward 40% of the wing and blending back as I go.  The plan is smooth up front with some remnant detail toward the trailing edge after the silver paste process is done....we will see how it goes.  And put together the basic engine, and since it seems to fit under the engine cowling I went ahead and shot some 37038 black on it.  Boy the Airfix engine is an incredible improvement over the H/C one.  It is going to take a bit of modifying of course to get it in the cradle, but I think it will be totally worth it in the end.  I also plugged up the square gun camera hole, and will turn it into a round hole that I believe what was common on the -5 Mustangs.

CAM02197_zps8f01c6d0.jpg

CAM02195_zpsba0b742a.jpg

Well another quick update.  I finished the modifying of the elevators, to more resemble fabric covered ones.  

I had also been applying a few coats of primer with some sanding in between.  Did a final sand tonight, and put down 3 coats of the Ace Chrome aluminum.  Fairly please at the outcome.  From the spar forward is pretty smooth and there is a hint of rivet detail on the trailing edge just forward of the ailerons and flaps.  I will let it sit overnight and start the clearing process tomorrow.

CAM02225_zps8aeec3bb.jpg

CAM02221_zps829b3299.jpg

CAM02212_zps39780533.jpg

CAM02209_zpseaa71fc3.jpg

CAM02214_zpsdbd58362.jpg

There is alot of reflectiveness in the paint right now that is not being captured by my phone's camera....