Red surroumd on VF17 Corsairs stars &bars?

fastzx

Any thoughts or proof of red surrounds on the jolley rogers corsairs stars and bars markings?

Ive seen alot of profile art but no color photos,

On Fred Streig's white 3 has red surround but other vf17 have blue. Any thoughts or photos?

Jon

Any thoughts or proof of red surrounds on the jolley rogers corsairs stars and bars markings?

Ive seen alot of profile art but no color photos,

On Fred Streig's white 3 has red surround but other vf17 have blue. Any thoughts or photos?

Jon

Jon,

You might want to invest in this book. It has some very interesting info concerning the red surround, etc.

John

http://www.airconnection.on.ca/AJ-PRESS/airconnection_AJPRESS_AJCD03.htm

AJ Press recently published a book on this exact topic (the one JohnB linked to). While I have never seen a colour pic of a Corsair with red surrounds, I have seen a good number of them with varying shades of blue camouflage colours.

According to the book, Admiral Halsey issued an order removing the red surrounds July 31, only a month after they began in late June, 1943. Being that VF-17 began their tour around October/November, any red markings would have been long over painted.

I highly recommend the book for the excellent photos and artwork though it's a bit pricey for a 48 page book.

Allan

Yup! That's definitely red. Strike one against the book. I guess that leaves the black and white photos open to interpretation. I think I would do the surrounds in red if they are an even tone overall and sea blue/intermediate blue when they appear two shades.

Maybe the red was on fuselage only???

That pacifiwrecks color photo of Chuck's plane maybe the only VF17 color fuselage photo out there.

I wish they photographed the wings too.

A sad end due to a lucky shot.

Jon

I've still been searching and ran across an old issue of Tamiya modeling magazine (issue 138 april 2007). There are some profiles of white 21 that states red outline on fuselage only but wings just white bars above and below both wings date Summer 43 after June 29th

Same page has profile white 29 dated March 44 Kepford's plane with 15 kills standard blue surround 4 positions.

A photo (BW) of big hog with patched bullet holes shows same value gray arround fuselage stars and bars as the shade used for Japanese kill markings

Page 58 Cosair Aces of World War 2 (osprey vol 8)

Page 59 of F4U Corsair at War (Richard Abrams) shows VF 17 ground crew sitting under starboard wing shows star with white bar with outline dated Feb 19, 1944 Blackburn photo collection. Cosair in distance number obscured shows lighter shade of gray outline compared to value of gray around star.

Edited by fastzx

Hello Jon,

My two cents worth if I may

About the photo of F4U 17804 in Pacificwrecks,Why would the red border be in almost new condition when the rest of the colors are rather sparse and very faded.The 'red' looks more like a floresent pink color.It is obviously a tweeked photo to my eye.Some people feel the need to rewrite history.

HappyHobby!

I don't believe anyone would photoshop a photo or go to the trouble of painting a faded red border, if that is what you mean by rewriting history. The very remote hostile and disease ridden location preserved this wreck untill it was "found" by a surveyor in1968 some 25 years after Chuck was killed. It is just curious that over time color profiles in military aviation reference books or in aviation art paint aircraft with markings that may or may not have actually been on the planes.

Boyington's white 86 is a plane often shown as a plane he flew in combat but he never did. He only sat in the cockpit in a rear area after newspaper photographers wanted publicity photos. Boyington himself stated that in his book.

Jon