Another Gotha.. ressurected 11-12-12

ladder4boy

Pequito ubdato.. or “Let me tell you why I’m an idiot”..

As stated earlier, I had this genius idea to fit the framework for the interior of the fuselage to the sidewalls instead of attaching it to the cockpit floor and partition bulkheads as per instructions. I thought it would make it easier to line stuff up later. It didn’t.. and caused more work than necessary painting the interior walls and rigging the interior framework. As a side effect, drilling holes through the sidewalls to mount turnbuckles and such managed to destroy most of the rivet detail on the outside as well. So, for the past couple of modeling sessions, I’ve been fixing my mistakes.

Pics here shows the lack of rivets where they should be, plus some more damage incurred by “not paying attention”.

SAM_0547.jpg

SAM_0548.jpg

Here’s the repair work.. also had to rescribe the top of the fuselage body where it meets the leather padding at the top as the separation line was pretty much non-existant.

SAM_0554.jpg

SAM_0553.jpg

Also installed the engine control rod piece… haven’t found a picture that shows what type SSW used, so I went with the Gotha built style cuz it promised even more work to be done…

SAM_0549.jpg

Shaved off the rod like fairings the kit supplied after seeing the picture in the wingnut manual and will replace it with styrene rod after the body is mounted to the wing. Also had to re-rivet this due to damage incurred while sanding some excess glue squeeze.

SAM_0556.jpg

I kinda like the larger rivet heads tho. I figure a coat of primer and paint is going to tone them down a good bit anyhow, and it gives it kind of a cool “steam punk” look. I was going to use archers rivets here, but there’s a tone of masking and re-masking when paint time comes and I’ve had problems with them lifting in the past..

have to sand the inside of the gun tunnel smooth, repair and repaint some of the interior stuff.. give it a good wash down and it'll be time for paint. Krow is generously allowing me to be the guinea pig for his hex masking, so as soon as we get some templates made, i'll show how that's going.

cheers

Jerry

Peter.. Steve is taking it to a whole new level making these masks.. i'm just hoping not to screw up the hard work too bad! Got an e-mail from Bob that my eyelets are in the mail, so i'm hoping they'll be here by the weekend so i can finish off the top wing and get it primed and the bottom painted... and my gaspatch turnbuckles should be here soon as well. wanna test fit them to the bottom wing so i can patch any boo-boo's if i drill the mounting holes all the way through first, then paint the bottom of them as well. I'm going to wait to do any touch up painting and such on the engines until after i get the wings painted because i'm afraid of how much damage i'm going to do with all the masking. I broke out a notebook to keep up with ideas and game plans on this one and i've already managed to fill about 20 pages in it! kinda scary.. but my biggest fear is lack of time due to the holidays being over and work getting in the way.

• 8 months later...

Sorry.. No updates. Been working 90+ hours a week and haven't had a chance to do much more than surf the web LOOKING at models for a few minutes in the evening. I'll be back on it when things slow down a notch here.

Cheers,

Jerry

• 3 months later...