What is the correct gun sight & IP coaming for a P-51D-15NA?

lonnie

Hi All,

I just received the Tamiya 32 scale Mustang and I am going to build it as a 361st FG Yellow Noser. The ones I am considering are all P-51D-15-NA. Tamiya gives us the options for the N-9 and K-14 gun sights and the early and late instrument panel coaming. I was hoping someone could answer the questions below.

1. Which gun sight is correct for the D-15 and, if the N-9, would they have retrofitted the K-14 at any time?

2. Which coaming is correct for the D-15, early or late style, and if early, if they did retrofit the K-14 would that also mean a change in the instrument panel coaming?

Thanks in advance for any help on these two questions.

Happy modeling and happy Mustangs!

Lonnie Berry

Miami, Fl

Don't know about the retro-fitting of coamings but the gunsites were retro-fitted as fast as the new models were available. The pilots' loved the 14 and thought that it was vastly better than the 9. Mr Bud Anderson said so so I take it to be gospel.

J

Lonnie,

What JR has shared is correct. retrofit was an ongoing process. There is no way to know what airframes were modified to what extent at what point in time. I do believe the IP shrowd had to be modified in order to accomodate the larger K-14 but Im not 100% sure. You'll have to maybe ask on the P-51 SIG. The answer will surely be found there.

Cheers,

Geoff

Hi Jerry & Ironwing,

Thanks this is a big help. It's a matter of time frame then whether you have the N-9 or K-14. I have been researching since I posted and the first Mustangs coming off the line with the K-14 were the D-20's. Now I have to determine the time frame for the markings I have for the Yellow Nosers, AMD sheet 32-015, and if they were late 44 or into 45 then they may have had the K-14 retrofitted. I'll ask on the P-51 Sig about the coaming.

Thanks guys and happy Mustangs!

Lonnie Berry

Miami, FL

Don't forget that the K-14 (Mk.18 for the U.S.Navy) was the U.S. version of the British Mk.IID gyro gunsight, and, as well as the sight, there were some extra items, like a switchbox, voltage regulator and noise suppressor, fitted somewhere in the cockpit. There was also a different throttle (twist) grip, with a Bowden cable (two on British aircraft) leading up to the left side of the sight. In a way, it was the first manifestation of HOTAS.

Edgar

Hi Edgar,

That's good information. Does that mean the switch box on the underside of the later Mustangs that is underneath the right side of the IP coaming is part of the K-14 system?

Thanks in advance!

Lonnie Berry

Miami, FL

I don't have a photo to hand, but the box consisted of three switches. The centre, simple toggle, switch was just to switch it on, and was supposed to be operated before take-off. The left, rotating, switch had four positions:- fixed (usually used for harmonisation, but also a stand-by if the gyro failed,) fixed & gyro, gyro day, gyro night. The right, also rotating, switch was a simple dim/bright switch.

Edgar

Hello Lonnie,

I am in the process of building "Bud" Anderson's Old Crow and have been in contact with him regarding some of these issues. Old Crow was a P-51D -10 NA. Between November or maybe December 1944 and January 1945 the Mustangs of the 357th FG had the N-9's replaced by the K-14A . The armorers of the 3 squadrons were sent to a school near London over several weeks where they learned how to maintain and install the new gunsights. It is very hard to tell if the coaming was upgraded also. My guess is that it was not. The new coaming had the stiffeners on the sides and it is hard to tell from the squadron pictures.

Here's some other interesting tidbits from Col. Anderson.

No radio antenna wires on aircraft of the 357th

Very few pilots wore the seat parachute. Back parachutes were preferred because a pilot could get out quicker. Pilots sat on an RAF style tan dingy and later a U.S. made dingy that was green. Bud does not remember any seat cushions on his aircraft during the war.

Early G-suits were worn from late 44 through end of war.

Bud did not carry his .45 on missions.

Cockpit floor was plywood painted non skid black.

Old Crow was delivered to England in NMF then camouflaged in RAF/USAAF green and grey. Later the plane was stripped of paint to a NMF.

The revetments at Leiston airbase were concrete. PSP was used in areasbetween the revetments and the runways.

The 357th FG learned to fly their P-51C/C Mustangs when they got to England. They trained in P-39's in the U.S.

Hope this helps