F8 Crusader

SeanH

Hi Guys

Does anyone have a book that may have a profile of Lt. Eugene Chancy's F8 Crusader? Lt. Chancy had the 2nd air victory scored by a Crusader in Viet Nam in June of 1966 and he flew with Vf-211 at the time. I have tried to find photos of his plane but I have come up empty.

Thanks

Sean H

Hi Sean,

On 21 Jun 1966 Lt Eugene Chancy was piloting F-8E S/N: 150910 with Squadron number NP101. He was in a formation of VF-211 Crusaders that merged head on with a formation of North Vietnamese Mig-17's. Lt Chancy fired on one of the Mig's and hit it's wing which then separated from the aircraft. The NVA pilot did not eject and rode the plane into the ground. Lt Chancy was subsequently awarded the Silver Star for this accomplishment. http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=29668

Aircraft F-8E 150910 was destroyed a year later on 9-11-67 when it lost all hydraulic power and the pilot had to eject.

I have not found any photos of F-8E 150910 but Lt Chancy said it looked like all the other F-8's in the Squadron at that time.

My email address is: davidmasonmd11capt@yahoo.com

Send me your email address and I will send you all the photos I have of VF-211 Crusaders at the time of the shootdown.

Cheers,

Dave Mason

Sean,

This is the only photo I've found of Chancey's aircraft. It's not the greatest photo but looking at it I would say Dave is correct in that it was marked like other aircraft in VF-211.

scan0001A.jpg

Photo is from:

MiG Killers; A Chronology of U.S. Air Victories in Vietnam 1965-1973; By Donald J. McCarthy, Jr.

Photo is posted here for illustration purposes only under Fair Use. http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html