Speaking of the classic Revell kits

GVINCENT

I just started working on the old Revell Spitfire (Lone Eagles) Mk 1. I was surprised to see the post about the pld Revell kits!

Does anyone know if the Spit had a solid floor? I was thinking of replacing the wheels also but I don't know if there is anything out there or if it is worth it. Also if anyone knows if the landing gear bays are boxed in (like a 109) that would be useful info!

THanks!

Gary

Hi!

this kit will be very glad to receive the help from some aftermarket items. There are four major issues on this kit.

- the LG: one of the weakest aspects: the wells shall indeed be boxed but you're on your own (no aftermarket option). Regarding the wheels you've various options (True details, Paragon or Mastercasters). There are also metal LG legs but they are not intended to this kit and are not early LG legs. Personally, I'd rebuild them myself.

- the rear wing area ("gull wing" zone). Warbirds made a part to solve this BUT mating it to the kit is not easy and the engraved details are completely different from the kit ones...

- the pit: the only aftermarket full pit is the Aires one (intended for the Hasegawa kit): I cannot tell you if this may be used easily in the old Revell kit. Fortunately, There are other options that may help you to build yourself a good cockpit: Warbirds seat, fotocut photoetched set, Waldron placards and old Eduard sets for the Hasegawa kit.

- the movable surfaces hinges are overscale but this may be easily solved with some plastic card.

Some other areas would also deserve some work but the problems are less noticeable (e.g. exhausts).

HTH

Hi Thierry,

Thanks for the response! Can you tell me what the issues are with the LG parts? Under detailed, too short/long?

again, thank you!

Gary

Hi!

this kit will be very glad to receive the help from some aftermarket items. There are four major issues on this kit.

- the LG: one of the weakest aspects: the wells shall indeed be boxed but you're on your own (no aftermarket option). Regarding the wheels you've various options (True details, Paragon or Mastercasters). There are also metal LG legs but they are not intended to this kit and are not early LG legs. Personally, I'd rebuild them myself.

- the rear wing area ("gull wing" zone). Warbirds made a part to solve this BUT mating it to the kit is not easy and the engraved details are completely different from the kit ones...

- the pit: the only aftermarket full pit is the Aires one (intended for the Hasegawa kit): I cannot tell you if this may be used easily in the old Revell kit. Fortunately, There are other options that may help you to build yourself a good cockpit: Warbirds seat, fotocut photoetched set, Waldron placards and old Eduard sets for the Hasegawa kit.

- the movable surfaces hinges are overscale but this may be easily solved with some plastic card.

Some other areas would also deserve some work but the problems are less noticeable (e.g. exhausts).

HTH

Depending on your quest for accuracy, the Mk.V cockpit varied, quite considerably, from the Mk.I. There was no floor to the Spitfire; if you dropped anything, it was liable to vanish among the bulkheads, control cables, etc. One pilot reckoned that, if he dropped anything, he'd invert the a/c, and catch it as it went past. :rolleyes:

Edgar

I am building the same kit right now. As for the gull-wing issue, I packed two-part epoxy putty into the rear internal surfaces of the wing fillets (on the two fuselage sides) and onto the top internal surface of the belly (between the radiator and the oil cooler), then using a Hasegawa kit as a guide, sanded out the gull-wing contour. I think this is best started before joining the fuselage halves and attaching the lower wing, then finishing it when these parts are together. It looks like it is going to work fairly well and does not mess up too much of the existing details.