Hasegawa P-40N, WIP

freddie from LI

Back at the build table after a few months. I've been hitting this one pretty well making a lot of progress in a short amount of time. Didn't take the time to shoot pics of the cockpit while it was still out of the fuselage. Here are some pics of how it looks already placed in the model. It is basically built OOB, as I find the detail is very good as is. I guess you could spend the money on resin and P/E, but isn't the kit enough money the way it is? I only added the seat harness from cut strips of paper, using Rafe Morrisey's "masking Tape" method described on Hyperscale. I think it looks pretty good, but then I would think that.

CurtissP-40N-5-Cucockpit.jpg

CurtissP-40N-5-Cuinstrumentpanel.jpg

CurtissP-40N-5-Cuportcockpitwall.jpg

CurtissP-40N-5-Custbdcockpitwall.jpg

Here is the fuselage with the cockpit installed and tail planes attached. Because the kit is an upscaled version of Hasegawa's 1:48 kit, it has all the little plug and panels that need to be added, depending on which P-40 mark, you're building. I installed all of these on each of the respective sides, both port and Stbd, as I feel it's easier to hit those seams, BEFORE joining the fuselage halves together.

CurtissP-40N-5-CuFuselage1.jpg

CurtissP-40N-5-CuFuselage2.jpg

And lastly, the wings have been fitted and glued. Bit of a mess on my hands there. Don't worry, it'll clean up real nice. The black arrows point out where I needed to shim out the wings a tad to make everybody line up. The gray stuff is Mr. Surfacer 500. More pics of that will show up, hopefully tomorrow. The white arrows point to the main tail seam, which I attached to each fuselage side BEFORE joining halves. This seam is a tough one because there is no natural seam there on the real aircraft and in making that seam go away, you will wipe out detail that MUST be re-scribed. Rivets too.

CurtissP-40N-5-CuWingsattached1.jpg

CurtissP-40N-5-CuWingsattached2.jpg

That's all for now. I hope to get a few more sessions of sanding and re-scribing done by tomorrow, maybe have some more pictures. Thanks for looking and I hope you all have a great day.

Regards,

Freddie from LI