1/32 Polish F-16C Block 52+

Spaced Marine

After being inspired by and conversing with Pete "Pig" Fleischmann I also decided to build my 1/32 Tamiya F-16 Thunderbirds boxing as a single seat Polish Viper. I'm no where near talented enough to attempt a D conversion, unless it was a pretty inclusive prepackaged deal. After collecting the heavy weight gear parts from my poor, ruined, 1/32 CJ and some additional parts from fellow modelers for the extra tail parts and Aim-9X's, I am under weigh.

The plane will be modeled like this from F-16.net: http://www.f-16.net/gallery_item305689.html & http://www.f-16.net/gallery_item305682.html. I have the Skunk Model Works CFT's, and I will be adding a Sniper pod, once I can afford one. But, for now, I will build what I have on hand.

The first thing I did was tackle the tail. Ideally, I would loved to have used the PWMP resin piece, but until I have a new job, savings is the name of the game. I had an Academy kit, so I co-opted those parts, but they too need a little modification. As presented they are for a Korean Viper, which only has one of the antenna fairings on its side. Reference the kind parts provided by fellow folks here.

The first thing I did was make a tape tracing of the plate that the antenna sits on. This is my first attempt:

DSC01820.jpg

I then transfered the tape to a piece of .005 styrene. However, I found out that the first attempt was too big. I cut around the outline, instead of inside the outline. Here's the fixed attempt:

DSC01821.jpg

After a light sanding to clean up the sides, I affixed the plate to the Academy tail side with a light application of Tamiya cement.

DSC01822.jpg

Next came removing the US style tail base. I scored the panel line with my trusty #11 and then carefully removed those parts with a thin Tritool photo-etched saw. This was actually much tidier and simpler than I thought it would be. I generally fear cutting parts, especially if they are a MAJOR part of the model. Thank the Lord above this went very, very well. And equally worthy of thanks, they lined up just right when assembled into the completed tail!

DSC01824.jpg

DSC01826.jpg

DSC01823.jpg

Well, that's a good start. Please, let me know what y'all think, and make all the pointers you can as I tackle this project.