More Hasegawa P-47 questions

GVINCENT

Hi all,

Starting to pick up the pace on my BAB II build. I have a question about the painting of the fuselage interior parts. The instructions show that you should paint almost the entire insides of the fuselage halves. Is this necessary?

It shows you should paint the wing spars too. I did and I don't think they are visable when it is all put together. Am I assuming correctly?

Right now I am working on the cowling... oh man! I hope I get it right! It is really a chore. Any tips for this? Also, has everyone encounter the "step" qt the bottom of the cowl? I have heard mixed results?

I hope the cowl will be the hard part and the rest a little smoother.

Thanks!

Gary V.

You only have to paint the area around the cockpit, the tail wheel well, and the main wheel wells; that's all that will be visible. The spars are not visible IIRC.

Don't forget that the cockpit is Dull Dark Green and all other interiors are Yellow Zinc.

The cowling is a chore, go slow ;)

The engine and cowling assembly mount to the fuselage about .5mm too high and creates a "step" along the bottom of the join. This can be remedied with some grinding and a small shim

Thanks Chris!

I haven't painted the interior fuselage yet and was hoping for your answer! That darn cowl is going to kill me!

I used that MM enamel Euro green II (I think) for the cockpit... wow is that dark! The other pieces so far wee painted black and then highly thinned interior yellow... they turn a little greener than I wanted but not bad. The black gives the yellow natural shading too!

I am thinking of cutting up the instument panel deacls and using then in the dials... but it's a nice IP I may drybrush it and add white glue lenses. What did you do? I will be using the closed canopy on this build and the open for the next.

I hope Hasegawa comes out with a Razorback version. I did my old Revell Razorback in Big Stud markings. I would like to do that again with a much better kit!

Thanks again,

Gary

Tape the entire cowl together first using thin strips of tape or tamiya tape following the instructions so you don't leave a part out. Get it completely assembled and all lined up then glue with liquid cement. It's actually really easy if you follow this advise. If you glue piece by piece you won't have enough hands to hold it together and line it all up correctly.

Also leave the trailing edge of the wing un-glued at the flap area until the wings are glued to the fuse. If you don't the wing is to thin at the fillet and leaves a nasty step. If it's left un-glued you can separate the wing halves and line the upper and lower wing surfaces up with the fuse for a perfect fit,

Ron

Thanks Ron!

I wish I had thought about putting the cowl together first! I'll take that advice on P-47 #2! I hadn't heard about the wing fit problem but I will take that advice too!

Thanks for your help! You too, Chris!

I'll post pictures when my son teaches me! My lameness knows no boundries!

Thanks again,

Gary V.

I used a punch set to pop out all the kit decal instruments as well, then I accented with Mike Grant's plackards here and there. I did a drop or two of Future over each dial and added some yellow fuse wire to the back of the instrument cans.

post-1-1225123040.jpg