New build... 1/32 Sopwith F.1

rvictor

Hi guys,

Well, this is going to be my first ever airplane build... my first ever non-figure build, actually. :wacko: I only have three kits just now, and I have been waiting for all the extras I purchased for them to arrive, and since this is the first complete package I have in place, it seems a good kit with which to start.

I am using the Hobby Craft F.1 with Clerget engine in 1/32. I have the Part PE detail set for it (three frets of wonderful), and also some sets from Tom's to add if needed. I plan to build B6313, W.G. Barker's plane. My kit is missing the marking's sheet, but I found two very good articles online, which detail the different markings of this plane.

So, watch this space, I guess... I have studied all of the instructions and other references, and am ready to start this later today. I hope to be able to post photos as I go along (I created a Photobucket account).

If you guys see me going all wonky on something, I hope you will chime in and stop me before I make too much a mess of things? :)

oh boy i'm looking forward to this one-----my first ever 28th. revell was this one---i remember well---even though it was many years ago----how i found the wing centre section enlarged cut-out easy---though i had expected it being hard----and the extra cooling slots on the cowling very difficult---though i had expected them being easy!!!!!!!!! phew---well it was over 40 years ago---i have improved a bit, but i love the camel --- in any scale.

cheers,

dave.

and if i was you i would'nt go 'overboard' with extra cockpit detailing ( some of course--if you want) as quite frankly even in the slightly bigger 28th. scale nothing very much is visible once the centre section covers that area.

just an observation from an oldie who has built---since it first came out-----at least nine 28th. camels (more or less the same kit---although your version was improved and refined quite nicely.

dave.

and if i was you i would'nt go 'overboard' with extra cockpit detailing ( some of course--if you want) as quite frankly even in the slightly bigger 28th. scale nothing very much is visible once the centre section covers that area.

just an observation from an oldie who has built---since it first came out-----at least nine 28th. camels (more or less the same kit---although your version was improved and refined quite nicely.

dave.

i should have added if the version of barkers your'e doing is the later one with enlarged centre section cut-out extra cockpit detailing will not be so 'invisible'----sorry.

dave.

i should have added if the version of barkers your'e doing is the later one with enlarged centre section cut-out extra cockpit detailing will not be so 'invisible'----sorry.

dave.

No worries, Dave. I appreciate the advice. ;)

I have been trying to figure out the instrument panel... the references I have of two different F.1s, show different IPs. One is very similar to the Part PE replacement I have (almost spot on, in fact), and the other photo seems to show an IP similar in shape to the Hobby Craft version. While HC has the basic shape correct. the positioning of the instruments on the panel does not appear to be correct. I am assuming that there must have been "upgrades" to instrumentation in the F.1 cockpits, and this accounts for the discrepancy. I have read also that really, no two planes of that era were alike given availability of parts, pilot preferences for instrumentation (or lack thereof), etc.

So, I guess I will go ahead with the Part PE replacement (which is a marvelous thing, really) and hopefully all will go well. :)

Thanks to everyone for your support.

not really----the camel dashboard(as they were called then) is not open to to many variations---they were not upgraded as today ----- don't make the mistake of using museum restorations---even the r.a.f. museum. the dash ---whilst correct in shape is 'sanitised' the instruments were not usually mounted on the board directly but fastened instead to wooden ----well--rings bringing the instruments a bit closer to the pilot and leads were thus 'external' not hidden behind board. i researched this area well some years ago when making a one third flying camel. can you show a pic. of the part brass ---i will confirm or deny it's authenticity.

dave.

heres a long winded link for the perfect camel dash. i'm sorry i don't know enough computer to bring up a direct link. first google under----mark miller camel.-----then click on first pic. SECOND row.----donald mc laren camel.----then scroll down past big photo of r.a.f. museum camel hanging up and scroll down eleven pics. on right hand side. the cockpit shot artwork by mr. miller (a genius) shows thin pencilled outline of guns but detailed colour dash. he does others but they seem based on r.a.f. museum example and are not typical operational dash. let me know if you manage to access it o.k. (click on it to enlarge of course----and be confident that you are as good as looking into a camel cockpit, check out his other great stuff also.

sorry to go on but he's a master.

dave.

heres a long winded link for the perfect camel dash. i'm sorry i don't know enough computer to bring up a direct link. first google under----mark miller camel.-----then click on first pic. SECOND row.----donald mc laren camel.----then scroll down past big photo of r.a.f. museum camel hanging up and scroll down eleven pics. on right hand side. the cockpit shot artwork by mr. miller (a genius) shows thin pencilled outline of guns but detailed colour dash. he does others but they seem based on r.a.f. museum example and are not typical operational dash. let me know if you manage to access it o.k. (click on it to enlarge of course----and be confident that you are as good as looking into a camel cockpit, check out his other great stuff also.

sorry to go on but he's a master.

dave.

Hi Dave,

Please do not apologize for helping me. I really do read your postings thoroughly, and I appreciate everything you add. ;)

Here is the Part PE scan of the IP and assembly. It seems very close to the rendering you referred me to, while the kit IP seems to be based on the restoration plane's IP. I did not catch that it was a restoration the first time (thank you for pointing it out to me).

Sopwith1.jpg

Is it okay to admit that I am a intimidated by this build? I know that there are parts I will do very well (PE work, construction), but I am afraid when I eventually pull out the airbrush, I will ruin many hours of hard work. :D

Also, I ordered the Windsock Datafile for the F.1, and I am sure that will help a good bit when it arrives

hi,

looks very good----some parts of course don't relate all that good in brass----parts 24/25/26 should really be a small oil pulsator glass----a bit of clear sprue will do a better job. part 20 are really brass domed electric switches---you can still see them in use today-----and were mounted to the dash on white bakelite insulators, just slightly bigger diameter than the switch----these were for the magnetos and were marked underneath 'trailing magneto' ---' leading magneto' also the right side of the dash should have an air pressure gauge with a copper pipe out the bottom(short) coupling it to a brass blow off valve. -------- phew, it's easy to get carried away but i do feel close to the camel and have studied it closely over more years than i can remember.

best,

dave.

hi,

looks very good----some parts of course don't relate all that good in brass----parts 24/25/26 should really be a small oil pulsator glass----a bit of clear sprue will do a better job. part 20 are really brass domed electric switches---you can still see them in use today-----and were mounted to the dash on white bakelite insulators, just slightly bigger diameter than the switch----these were for the magnetos and were marked underneath 'trailing magneto' ---' leading magneto' also the right side of the dash should have an air pressure gauge with a copper pipe out the bottom(short) coupling it to a brass blow off valve. -------- phew, it's easy to get carried away but i do feel close to the camel and have studied it closely over more years than i can remember.

best,

dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for writing. I agree re: parts 24/25/26, and plan to use just the base of those parts. I do not have any clear sprue, so I might try epoxy resin applied in successive applications... I am not sure on that yet.

I also noted the domed switches. I am thinking I may be able to give them the domed effect after I remove them from the fret (we'll see :D). I also see the small oil pressure gauge you refer too, and I think I can add that. After I get it fully together and painted, then I will add the small wires (I think they will get in the way when painting).

Also, this is the plane I am building...

Sopwith2.jpg

hi mate----tried to p.m. you but got a failed--message truncated---whatever that means. nothing relating to B6313 in the datafile but you will be impressed anyway. centre spread is a A.L. BENTLEY cut-away ---loads of gen.--page 20 will clarify further the dash. page 27 will show you what i mean by operational cockpits as opposed to (page 28) museum restorations. the profile showing the changeover to the letter 'N' is --- contentious---i have the photo supposed to show this and it is open to serious doubt----if i were doing one of barkers i would not go for this assumed one when the rest are pretty definate remember that ---at these early stages in 6313's life it had (in common with all sopwith made machines) 'engine turning' as it was called on cowling and aluminium side panels----think 'spirit of st. louis' if you can't quite visualise it (page 1 when your datafile comes. sorry about the failed p.m. certainly my fault---i;m doing something wrong but am only just getting to grips with computers----silly old sod syndrome!!!

cheers for now,

dave.

hi mate----tried to p.m. you but got a failed--message truncated---whatever that means. nothing relating to B6313 in the datafile but you will be impressed anyway. centre spread is a A.L. BENTLEY cut-away ---loads of gen.--page 20 will clarify further the dash. page 27 will show you what i mean by operational cockpits as opposed to (page 28) museum restorations. the profile showing the changeover to the letter 'N' is --- contentious---i have the photo supposed to show this and it is open to serious doubt----if i were doing one of barkers i would not go for this assumed one when the rest are pretty definate remember that ---at these early stages in 6313's life it had (in common with all sopwith made machines) 'engine turning' as it was called on cowling and aluminium side panels----think 'spirit of st. louis' if you can't quite visualise it (page 1 when your datafile comes. sorry about the failed p.m. certainly my fault---i;m doing something wrong but am only just getting to grips with computers----silly old sod syndrome!!!

cheers for now,

dave.

Hello Dave,

I did get a PM from you, but it was just mine quoted back. Thank you for trying though. :blink:

I cannot quite picture the "engine turning." Do you mean the bumpy surface on the cowling of the Spirit of St. Louis?

This is (I think) the previous scheme of the B6313 (before the "N" change). Is this more correct? I do have the decals for this version as well.

Sopwith3.jpg

While I wait for the datafile to arrive, I will be doing some of the safer sub-assemblies.

Again, thanks for your help. :)

that is most definately the one i would go with----if she were mine! the effect on the aluminium panels--you will know immediately when you see the superb pic. of B6266 fresh out of the factory doors---is that of a series of machined 'whorls' or circles lightly polished on the surface---full size it was done with a circular wire brush---it's not easey to represent but---like most things---deserves the try. the plywood panels either side of, and behind the cockpit are not the colour in the artwork---being varnished in copal which gave a reddish tint----check out the colour profiles on back page of datafile when it comes. by the way---that small circle shown on the undercart. leg and interplane struts is the sopwith logo pale cream outlined in gold with the name 'sopwith' in centre-----it is applied 'wrap around' on struts as shown in the profile you have---but also the same on all centre section struts. apart from those observations that is the profile to go with---in my humble opinion.

sorry if i seem to be preaching---i don't mean to.

best,

dave.