Will mineral spirits attack Alclad II?

jcfay

Hi folks - quick question. I want to try a peeled paint technique, by first laying down some Alclad II, then covering with my enamels, and then laying down a bit of mineral spirits on some of the enamels, apply a bit of tape, and peel up some of the enamel exposing some of the Alclad. I don't think that a light application of mineral spirits should attack the Alclad underneath, but wanted to double-check first. Anyone have any experience with this? I think it should turn out pretty well if it works.

Thanks (as always),

JON

I haven't tried this myself either Jon, but I wouldn't imagine the mineral spirits affecting the Alclad. Just be sure to leave it cure thoroughly, and don't let the mineral spirits sit too long on the Alclad. If you want to be sure of not affecting the Alclad, you could try using acrylics for the camo coats, and Windex or alcohol as the stripping medium.

Kev

Kev - thanks. You know, I really haven't worked that much with acrylics. I think I just got comfortable with enamels first, and ended up then using them as my standard operating plan. But I think that using them would allow a little more flexibility as far as this sort of thing goes, so I might give it a try. Otherwise, I'm hoping that because I'd only be applying the mineral spirits in small spots and for a short period of time, that they wouldn't damage the Alclad. I also figured that since the Alclad is a lacquer-based formula (at least that's what I think it is...) that it wouldn't be affected by the mineral spirits.

Thanks again!

JON