1/32 Vulcan started!

Lee White

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmm....see what you mean about the wing being wrong for a B.2...just got some plans blown up this afternoon, ironically from a very old B.1 to B.2 conversion...time for some decisions...

HeritageVulcan009.jpg

On the left is the trimmed wing part with the leading edge extension provided in the kit, on the right, just the wing on its own. Haven't tried out the fuselage or tail against the plans yet.

Have started another thread for the build of my Vulcan so as not to confuse things with Lee's build:

Simon's Vulcan build

Edited by SJPONeill

Guest Rigor

I just can't get over the size of this thing good to see your moving on with it :) can't wait to see this

thing start coming together

• 4 weeks later...

I'll definitely be following this build (and SJPONeill's) with interest! I saw the real XH558 at Farnborough last month, and also remember seeing the "last" airshow flight of the Vulcan some time in the early '90s at Abingdon. Probably my favourite RAF Cold War aircraft, though (unlike the Victor) I never actually built a model of one as a kid.

I have the Airfix 1/72 Vulcan kit, but always thought I'd much rather build one in a larger scale like 1/48, or even 1/32... until a few weeks ago, when I got the Airfix kit down from the loft and temporarily assembled the airframe with masking tape, to see if I had room for it on my display shelves. I had forgotten how huge it is - bigger than virtually anything available in 1/32 other than modern jet fighters and WW2 "twins"! I'm not a great fan of 1/72 scale, but it looks like it's my only option if I want to build a Vulcan without also having to build a house extension to put it in :ph34r:

It does look like the Heritage kit is good value for money, unlike the Combat/ID vacforms most of which are little more than basic airframe parts with minimal surface detail! Am I right that they are also planning a Lancaster in 1/32 or 1/24 scale? (can't remember which)

I'll definitely be following this build (and SJPONeill's) with interest! I saw the real XH558 at Farnborough last month, and also remember seeing the "last" airshow flight of the Vulcan some time in the early '90s at Abingdon. Probably my favourite RAF Cold War aircraft, though (unlike the Victor) I never actually built a model of one as a kid.

I have the Airfix 1/72 Vulcan kit, but always thought I'd much rather build one in a larger scale like 1/48, or even 1/32... until a few weeks ago, when I got the Airfix kit down from the loft and temporarily assembled the airframe with masking tape, to see if I had room for it on my display shelves. I had forgotten how huge it is - bigger than virtually anything available in 1/32 other than modern jet fighters and WW2 "twins"! I'm not a great fan of 1/72 scale, but it looks like it's my only option if I want to build a Vulcan without also having to build a house extension to put it in :blink:

It does look like the Heritage kit is good value for money, unlike the Combat/ID vacforms most of which are little more than basic airframe parts with minimal surface detail! Am I right that they are also planning a Lancaster in 1/32 or 1/24 scale? (can't remember which)

hi Ian from heritage here, yes we launched the 1:24 lanc and mosquito 2 years ago! lol, last year i launched the 1:24 lightning and the 32nd vulcan, still a few left. will have another lancaster run in the near future

rgds ian

hi Ian from heritage here, yes we launched the 1:24 lanc and mosquito 2 years ago! lol, last year i launched the 1:24 lightning and the 32nd vulcan, still a few left. will have another lancaster run in the near future

rgds ian

Sorry! - as mentioned in another post, I haven't really kept up to date in the last couple of years with what large-scale aircraft kits are available. Do you know what the price of the 1/24 Lancaster kit will be when you do another production run?

Also, have you considered doing a Lanc in 1/32 scale? The only other one available in this scale is the Combat/ID vacform, which apart from being vastly inferior to a Heritage kit (at least if it's like the other ID kits I've seen) is very hard to get this side of the Atlantic, which is presumably where a lot of the market for a Lancaster kit would be! I'd certainly be interested in one.

• 1 year later...