F4U-1 early Corsair "birdcage" color collector cover fuselage

What color behind cowl flaps on fuselage.

Some photos this looks natural metal some photos looks fuselage color overspray.

Going with Ken Walsh's white 13 birdcage "blue gray" color.

Anyone help with this trivia?

Thanks,

Jon

Having skimmed my books and videos I would say most are blue and grey like the rest of the fuselage. Some are a light grey like the bottom of the aircraft or the inside of the cowl, could be the same light gull grey. I don't see any that appear NMF. The Red Pepper video on the Corsair has several minutes of colour footage of VF-12 and 17 on the ground and in the air, this makes it very easy to tell.

The only photo I have seen of Walsh's white 13 does look to have the light grey aft of the cowl flaps even as grainy as the picture is. There also appears to be some writing on the upper half of the cowl. I'm curious, do your decals reflect this, as I have never seen any colour profiles showing any nose art on this plane?

Just my observations.

Allan

• 1 month later...

I have not seen any "nose art" on Ken's plane in my refs

But thanks for the advice.

Anyone else want to comment on the color of the area behind cowl flaps that may not be the same blue gray color?

Thanks,

Jon

post-1600-1203638101.jpg

As we are talking Corsair cowling colours, how about the intake end of the FAA's aircraft? natural metal and paint here!

Mark.

Thanks Mark,

But I finally found the shots I was looking for of the fuselage ring just behind the cowl flaps (firewall???)

It shows a blue gray cammo same as rest of topside of Ken Walsh's white 13.

Thanks for the great detail shots of the actuators for the cowl flaps though.

Thanks,

Jon Payne

• LSP_Kevin changed the title to F4U-1 early Corsair "birdcage" color collector cover fuselage