LVT-1 "Hurrischmitt"

AEROPOXY

For a while i intend to build this unique conversion of Royal Yugoslav Hurricane. This project, started in june 1940. was named L.V.T.-1 or Lovac-Vazduhoplovno Tehnicki-1 , meaning "Fighter-Aviation Technical-1" , from the name of the group of technicians working at Aviation Technical institute , where the conversion was done.

Plane was converted during the 1940, first flights were conduced during early 1941 and plane was even used in dogfights during the april 1941, forcing the one BF-110 on april 1st to land at Kraljevo airfield, where this BF 110 was captured. Later, on april 8th, while strafing German units over the southern part of Yugoslavia, due the leak in cooling system, loosing coolant fluid,and with overheated engine, pilot, sgt Pantelija Grandic landed this plane in Kosovo area, leaving it to be captured by German forces.

Fate of this captured plane was unknown, possibly some day at EBAY will show up from someones private collection.

Royal Yugoslav Air Force, Hawker Hurricane MK I (Early) with WATTS prop and wooden-fabric covered wings, 1939/1940.

RYAFHurricane.jpg

This plane , first delivered RYAF Hurricane Br.2301 (c/n L1751), was used for engine conversion to DB-601.

Due the lack of spare Merlin engines and having some 30 spare DB-601 engines delivered with Me-109E3a-s, Yugoslav AF HQ ordered this conversion as a prototype for series of 24 Rogozarski license built Hurricanes with DB 601 engine.

Old, built and disassembled, paint stripped, Revell Hurricane kit, will donate airframe for this LVT-1 build.

LVT-1_002.jpg

LVT-1 (DB 601 powered Hawker Hurricane), possible look, reconstruction from written factory documentation.

LVT-1_001-500.jpg

Edited by AEROPOXY

Fascinating project. I am always interested in the enginuity of the Mittel European and Eastern European nationa in the face of shortages during WWII. The cowling looks almost like an inverted merlin cowl. Please keep us informed step by step.

Bill