Calling the experts again

Chris/Germany

coming to the last stages of the Corsair shown in the "works" board I have two final questions I cannot exactly answer with my research material.

The bird I´ll do is "white 66" from USS Intrepid in April 45, shown as a profile in Ospreys Corsair Aces flown by Ens Alfred Lerch. This is a F4U-1D in an overall dark blue sheme. Here the questions:

1st: correct antenna wiring? the bird has all antennas - the one behind the cockpit and the one on front fuselage starboard side - did these late F4U - 1D´s have antennna wires and if yes, coming from where going to ?

2nd: I will give this bird a full load of two drop tanks and 2 x 4 rockets ( parts from a TRUMPETER kit , thanx a lot to Dave Pratt). What´s the correct colour for the rockets, especially the tips?

Thanx guys

Chris

Hey Chris, can't wait to see more on this project. I've been instructed that the HVAR rockets were aluminum with an olive drab warhead. The OD should have a few scratches or scrapes that allow steel to be seen underneath but keep it subtle. Don't know what color you planned on using as the overall blue but I've seen paint schemes that used Polyscale "weathered deck blue" and it looked right.

Chris, here´s my 0.02:

Wingman is right about the color, but I don´t believe the heads were made out of aluminum. These 5" HVAR rockets were painted in light gray, with OD heads while the head fuses were in natural metal or sometimes yellow. They were painted in these colors from WWII all the way throught Korea War, but you will find some rare examples painted in GSB. The stenciling patterns varied. Here are some pics:

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

rock3.jpg

rock4.jpg

rock5.jpg

rock6.jpg

rock7.jpg

As for the antenna wires, if you confirmed that your bird had both, the wire should go from the base of the one behind the cockpit to the rudder fin, then to the tip of the mast ahead the windscreen. Many F4U´s used to have another wire, connecting the left horizontal stab fin tip to the rudder fin and to the other stab fin tip. This arguably improved low frequencies reception, but you have to check your particular subject.

HTH