Bell X-1 Photos/Diagrams

nicely11b

Hmm...that's a good question, Kev. The few pics that I've seen of 6062 have shown the red stripe, so that's what I'm going to go with. You would really think that as important as this plane was, it would have had more pictures taken of it, even if it was the 1940s.

Yeah, I think that's probably a good call mate. My boxing of the Revell kit has them without the red stripe, which is the main reason I suspect they're not accurate. The Cutting Edge sheet has the initial version of 6062 sporting national markings without the red stripe, but shows "Glamorous Glennis" with the red striped versions (in fact, there's only that one scheme on the CE sheet that shows them without the red stripe).

The other issue I had with my kit, and the main reason I stalled on it, was that the tail pipe piece was just way too small for the fuselage! No one else has ever seemed to have a problem with this, so I don't know what's going on there. Tried to scratch-build one but gave up. I'll get back to it one day!

Kev

The other issue I had with my kit, and the main reason I stalled on it, was that the tail pipe piece was just way too small for the fuselage! No one else has ever seemed to have a problem with this, so I don't know what's going on there. Tried to scratch-build one but gave up. I'll get back to it one day!

Kev

I was just looking through your WIP thread for your build. I understand your frustration with not being able to cut out something that isn't square or round, but I have a thought...

Why not glue a few index cards together and use some tube sprue or brass as the rockets? A few index cards should have some strength and they could easily be cut to shape with scissors. It should also take primer and paint fairly well, I would think. Could also replicate the asbestos look with some thin aluminum foil. I'll have to take a look at the piece in my kit, see if it is more accurate and if so, maybe I'll try my hand at casting and see if I can't just send ya a better piece and save you the cutting.

Yeah, I'm curious about whether this part is the same on all kits and I'm just doing something wrong. I don't mind having another go at scratch-building something, but a drop-in replacement would be even better! I look forward to your report on how that part is in your kit.

Kev

Yeah, I'm curious about whether this part is the same on all kits and I'm just doing something wrong. I don't mind having another go at scratch-building something, but a drop-in replacement would be even better! I look forward to your report on how that part is in your kit.

Kev

I just took a real quick look at the sprues before heading to bed tonight...it looks like Revell completely re-worked the rockets. I'll try to get a pic for ya tomorrow, but it looks to be a different set-up. There is a diamond-shaped piece with 4 holes through it (the part that you were having problems with) and the rocket motor itself, which is in two pieces. It looks as though the rocket can be shown by itself. I really don't have any plans to show the motor but it may be something interesting.

I'm really itching to get this thing started. I need to get this Viper and huge Seawolf off my desk...

I just took a real quick look at the sprues before heading to bed tonight...it looks like Revell completely re-worked the rockets.

Wow, now that is interesting! Never saw that coming. And it certainly explains a lot. I'd love to have a resin copy of at least the rocket exhaust tubes if it was do-able, but of course I'm completely at your pleasure on that one.

I'd also be interested in some details about your boxing of the kit itself. Our Kit Database lists two releases: the one I've got (from 1998), and another one from 2003, for which we have no box art or other details. Would be great to have at least an image of the box art if that's possible!

Kev

Wow, now that is interesting! Never saw that coming. And it certainly explains a lot. I'd love to have a resin copy of at least the rocket exhaust tubes if it was do-able, but of course I'm completely at your pleasure on that one.

I'd also be interested in some details about your boxing of the kit itself. Our Kit Database lists two releases: the one I've got (from 1998), and another one from 2003, for which we have no box art or other details. Would be great to have at least an image of the box art if that's possible!

Kev

Hope these are good, Kev. Here are pictures of the box, sprues, and decals. I also scanned the instruction sheet and have it as a PDF and also as individual images. Let me know if you can use them and I can send them however you'd like.

IMG_8856.jpg

IMG_8857.jpg

IMG_8858.jpg

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8864.jpg

And here are close up shots of the motor and tail

IMG_8860.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

IMG_8862.jpg

Thanks Bryce! Those engine and tail parts are definitely different to what's in my kit. Everything else looks pretty much the same though, except for the blessed relief of neutral grey plastic! Very curious that Revell revised them. This release of the kit is not in our database at all (I note from the decal sheet that it's from 2011), so I'll add it when I get a chance. I don't need the instructions for the database, but I'm curious to have a look at them myself if you're able to email them to me.

Anybody know if the parts were modified in the earlier release (2003)?

Kev

Thanks Bryce! Those engine and tail parts are definitely different to what's in my kit. Everything else looks pretty much the same though, except for the blessed relief of neutral grey plastic! Very curious that Revell revised them. This release of the kit is not in our database at all (I note from the decal sheet that it's from 2011), so I'll add it when I get a chance. I don't need the instructions for the database, but I'm curious to have a look at them myself if you're able to email them to me.

Anybody know if the parts were modified in the earlier release (2003)?

Kev

E-mail sent.

On another note...

I took a look at some pics of how 6062 is today, hanging at the NASM. As far as I'm aware, they always make a notable aircraft look the way it did at the time it was made famous. So I'm assuming that they repainted 6062 to look the way it did on Oct 14th, 1947 when she broke the sound barrier. The way she is today, she has the red band on the national insignia and "6062" is the only marking on the tail.

4451127258_c154a749ec_o.jpg

5071692000_888ddce4bd_o.jpg

The wing pitot, slip indicator and nose pitot should also be bare metal, not painted, as the Revell instructions call for. The wing pitot and slip indicator are also on the wrong wings and the slip indicator is upside down.

Untitled.png