1/32 Revellogawa Spitfire Mk. 1 Questions

toadwbg

My mistake then Dave,

As a Yank I'm still trying to learn these things.

Thanks for all your help.

I find this such an interesting period to model. The Spitfire is just one of those planes that "look right" just sitting on the ground.

It's no wonder that they flew so well in combat. Of course the engine was a veritable War winner.

The Spitfire is fascinating to me. Specifically the short but vital Battle of Britain period.

I've learned quite a bit just through talking with people in this forum and ARC forums.

Jon

hi jon, one of the good points of this site mate----we can all 'tap' each other for advice, sometimes the detail/info. i'm sure becomes an overload as we each delve----but, from the individual model view, the info can be used or skipped without effecting the enjoyment or quality of the finished model at all.

the spit is a lovely aeroplane---but so many others are also.

cheers,

dave.

Dave,

After looking at all my drawings in my references I realized that some photos that are labled as a MkI were a MkII or even a Mk V! It gets confusing but I am getting more familiar with all the help you guys are giving me.

I've narrowed my spinner choice down the the "Pointier one" for my Mk1b.

In post#24 in this thread I think the item behind the armored headrest that is circular in shape ...do you have any closer detail references for that item, or is it just a cylindrical item like the headrest only metal black in color In post#24 I believe the item is labled C8 I have the older Vb Hasegawa kit that does not include that part like the newer revell/hasegawa MkI/MkII kit does.

I even cut and dropped the elevators as they all seem to be drooped at the same angle in most photos!

Almost have all my cockades and fin flashes as well as stenceling decals gathered for after painting. I'm boxing in the wheel wells now and have grabbed a MkI oil cooler off the old Revell issue kit- will fit perfect once glued in place.

Tires look correct diameter but the metal wheel diameter looks a tad small compared to drawings.

I'm getting there but it is more reference than I initially thought and a good diversion from the birdcage corsair conversion I was working on.

Thanks,

Jon

Dave,

In post#24 in this thread I think the item behind the armored headrest that is circular in shape ...do you have any closer detail references for that item, or is it just a cylindrical item like the headrest only metal black in color In post#24 I believe the item is labled C8 I have the older Vb Hasegawa kit that does not include that part like the newer revell/hasegawa MkI/MkII kit does.

I have the same question on this "headrest behind the headrest"...

Dave,

After looking at all my drawings in my references I realized that some photos that are labled as a MkI were a MkII or even a Mk V! It gets confusing but I am getting more familiar with all the help you guys are giving me.

I've narrowed my spinner choice down the the "Pointier one" for my Mk1b.

I even cut and dropped the elevators as they all seem to be drooped at the same angle in most photos!

Almost have all my cockades and fin flashes as well as stenceling decals gathered for after painting. I'm boxing in the wheel wells now and have grabbed a MkI oil cooler off the old Revell issue kit- will fit perfect once glued in place.

Tires look correct diameter but the metal wheel diameter looks a tad small compared to drawings.

I'm getting there but it is more reference than I initially thought and a good diversion from the birdcage corsair conversion I was working on.

Thanks,

Jon

the item your'e thinking of is just a voltage regulator --- it wasn't fitted there on the earliest spits. only different in shape to the mk.V---it is a cylinder and paint it black, as you say, with two wires running out the bottom, up against the bulkhead running down the left side as you look forward---they can terminate at the bottom as you can't see them down there. the wheels on the rev/has. spit are very good--i certainly can't fault tyre or rim diameters---but as i said earlier---and this is just my opinion---they are to 'thick' and 'flat'--and i always sand all 'halves' a bit to reduce this excess bulk and round off the tyres across the tread part. it always looks more right to my eyes but maybe it's just my perception----don't think so but iv'e never taken measurements or anything.

just my opinin jon,

dave.

Don't compare the 5-spoke hub with the 4-spoke; the latter was thinner (I don't know by how much, but it probably explains the wider spokes; I think they were needed for extra strength.)

Edgar

yes thats right edgar but the has/rev. wheels rep. the 5 spoke---and i still feel that after 'thinning' and 'rounding' they look much more rep.-----as i say, i have'nt taken calipers to anything in the way of plans to corroborate my feeling---just 'gut' from 50years of close scrutiny of photos and full size, and many builds of the mk.V kit before the re-hash to mk.1/11---and many builds since--at which time i started 'thinning' a bit---and have done so on all builds since----it's not much you know, very subtle thinning and rounding-----and also, like a great many kits of that (and more recent) vintage---the oleos need reducing a bit to improve the 'sit'.

dave.

Just wanted to bump this thread and thank everyone again for their help.

I went ahead and added the oxygen hose (guitar string) and closed up the fusalage halves today- than found out you really need to add the seat first before you do that- doh! Not a big deal, took the seat assembly apart and fiddled with it until it sat in. I also took this opportunity to remove the armored plate behind the seat.

After installing the seat I noticed something good- you really can't see that "fake" floor Hasegawa supplies anyway under the seat.

Hope to post pics soon.

I'm working with an previously built Vb so I'm facing the same problem with the seat and other small bits and pieces.

Good news is the oil cooler is fixed and the plane is in primer to be rescribed!

Jon

Also thanks to everyone for advice.

Does anyone have pics of how the Spitfire seatbelt terminates behind the seat? From what I can tell, the seatbelt threads thru the hole in the armored plate bulkhead behind the seat but I'm lost where it goes and attatches to from there.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a very good page and site:

http://www.spitfiresite.com/reference/vari...ton-harness.htm

The quilted backrest was in use very early on; there's a photo, somewhere, of the seat in a crashed Mk.I, and the remains of the rest are still visible. It was optional, and I should think that, when in shirtsleeves, pilots found it essential; in uniform, with a Mae West, maybe it wasn't so important. Not all were black, either, there were brown versions.

The Y strap terminated in a short length of cable, which was attached to the crossmember of the bulkhead. The later QK harness used a longer cable, which could go through the backrest, but this was only on specially strengthened seats (some metal) and only from the VII onwards (not on the XII, though, for some reason.)

Edgar