sources for 1/24 Hurricane interior bits?

gregv

hello all

wondering if you guys could give me some "short cuts" on sources for some details on my 1/24 Airfix Hurricane interior. I'm not looking to do anyhting over-the-top, just dress up what's there.

I was thinking of some instrument decals, a belt set, but is there anything else I should consider? I see that Eduard does a nice-looking belt set for early WWII RAF aircraft.

any assistance appreciated!

cheers

greg v.

hello all

wondering if you guys could give me some "short cuts" on sources for some details on my 1/24 Airfix Hurricane interior. I'm not looking to do anyhting over-the-top, just dress up what's there.

I was thinking of some instrument decals, a belt set, but is there anything else I should consider? I see that Eduard does a nice-looking belt set for early WWII RAF aircraft.

any assistance appreciated!

cheers

greg v.

hi greg, for what it's worth, my feeling is that if it's airfix----seat belts are about all you need-----it's very good as is. if it's trump. i used eduard seat belts---and thats all it needs, as it's exquisite. don't waste money that could be better spent on decals for either---techmod for me.

cheers,

dave.

hi greg, for what it's worth, my feeling is that if it's airfix----seat belts are about all you need-----it's very good as is. if it's trump. i used eduard seat belts---and thats all it needs, as it's exquisite. don't waste money that could be better spent on decals for either---techmod for me.

cheers,

dave.

thanks Dave!

I'm going for a scheme that requires some simple markings that I can have made as stencils in vinyl, so no worries there. Do you think the Airfix instrument panel would look better with the clear kit part replaced by a layer of clear sheet with actual instrument decals behind it? Or would I be better off just detailing the cast-in instrument faces with a brush and dropping some crystal clear or white glue on them?

cheers

greg v.

thanks Dave!

I'm going for a scheme that requires some simple markings that I can have made as stencils in vinyl, so no worries there. Do you think the Airfix instrument panel would look better with the clear kit part replaced by a layer of clear sheet with actual instrument decals behind it? Or would I be better off just detailing the cast-in instrument faces with a brush and dropping some crystal clear or white glue on them?

cheers

greg v.

again greg, just my opinion but iv'e seen(and had) excellent results doing the old airfix lady just the way you say at the end of your post mate, remembering you did say you did'nt want to go 'over the top' by the way greg, interested, and i'll bet i'm not alone in what scheme your'e going with---------do tell!

cheers,

dave.

Dave

I bought this kit in 1984 (I think) on a family trip to Italy, and it has sat half-built in a box since then, steadily losing parts and falling apart. At some point in the early 90's I had a mate who worked in a machine shop lathe me a new spinner out of aluminum (which takes the kit blades, and which I polished) from a drawing I made by hand based on a Mk II profile from the "in action" book; this was to replace the Spitfire unit supplied in the kit, which I have never liked, even though it would be correct for the aircraft I am intending to represent. I also robbed some fishtail exhausts (I like the way they look better than the kit ones) from my brother's half built Airfix Spitfire (more on that project later...), and I would like to finally finish her up as Hawker's example which they bought back from the RAF, G-AFKX. The cowlings are all sealed up, so no worries about engine detailing for me!

While all the profiles I have seen show G-AFKX with the fabric wings, some research I did showed that she did later receive the metal ones...so I'm thinking polished wings & cowlings with nice silver doped fabric surfaces. The civil reg. is shown in both blue and black in the aforementioned profiles, but I think that the Hawker house colour of blue would be nice, along with a small smattering of stencils and just a hint of weathering (exhausts only I think). These I can easily draw up to scale in a vector program and have cut as stencils.

Now I just have to figure out if I go with rub & buff over gloss black or bare-metal foil, but the silver dope is a no-brainer (spray bomb thanks!).

cheers!

greg v.

post-205-1231804532.jpg

Great idea for a color scheme! For the bare metal areas, I'd suggest going the extra mile and go with kitchen foil. The results are stunning!

I tried that on a Revell 1/72 P-38 about 150 years ago, and it did look good, although the choice of Humbrol gloss clear as an adhesive was a complete disaster. What would you suggest to use as a fixative?

cheers

greg v.

What would you suggest to use as a fixative?

Use a foil adhesive specific to the task, such as for gold leaf. The one I use is by Delta, called Renaissance Foil Adhesive, which I get from the local arts/crafts store; deltacrafts.com is their site, so you should be able to find a retailer in your area. If not, PM me. This adhesive is alchohol based, and thins down really well. I use an old airbrush I don't care too much about, otherwise be very meticulous in your cleanup! Microscale's foil adhesive is very similar, but the Delta one comes in a larger quantity and is less expensive.

Dangit! Now I'm going to have to get a suitable subject and do another polished metal job!

Anyway, HTH! :lol:

On further study of the reference pic, does anybody make dry-transfers of typical Hurricane/early RAF stencils? That would be a great help in this case.

greg v.

any techmod hurri sheet gives you lovely stencils greg --not dry i know but lovely--please stay with the kit exhaust ejectors---L6106 (G-AFKX)----like all contempory mk. 1's used these exclusively----and astro's right, micro scale foil adhesive works great.-------your'e right astro on another point also----how easily we get 'fired' up by on line bulds to 'do another one' ourselves!

dave.

any techmod hurri sheet gives you lovely stencils greg --not dry i know but lovely--please stay with the kit exhaust ejectors---L6106 (G-AFKX)----like all contempory mk. 1's used these exclusively----and astro's right, micro scale foil adhesive works great.-------your'e right astro on another point also----how easily we get 'fired' up by on line bulds to 'do another one' ourselves!

dave.

Dave

thanks for the info! I realize the kit exhausts are correct, but I really like the look of the fishtails better, and since I'm already departing from reality with the spinner I'm giving myself some artistic license! To be honest, I'll be happy enough just to get this sucker done in any format....and if the bare metal goes wrong, I have a handy can of flat black standing by to cover all sins....

cheers

greg v.