Trumpeter 1/24 Bf109G6-Y

ChrisS

Awesome looking kit Chris, love the air intake filter. On the Finnish Racers, was their a fourth plane? I notice illustrations of an A,B & D, where is the C? I have been trying to find out more infornmation on these 109G's. When were these painted like this? I have heard they were specially painted that way for some kind of festival in the late 1950's, could you confirm?

Thanks for the notes on that trop filter.

All the info I have comes from research done by a group of guys doing "skins" for EAW. Here is a quote from the readme file included with those skins:

These are 3 of the Bf109G-6 aircraft that were used for the annual Finnish Air Races at Utti air base held on 24 June 1950.

Four participants are known to have taken part in the races, two of which we have been able to Identify using either the serial number visible on the fuselage:

* Blue "B", MT-508, from the HLeLv 31 (which was the HLeLv 24 before the 4th of December 44)

And also the squadron logo on the tailplane

* Red "D", MT-402 from the HLeLv 33  (which was the HLeLv 34 up to the 4th of December 44)

Our attempts to identify the colours used on the next AC resulted in the aircraft being shown in yellow paintwork with a red surround, however this is purely speculation based on a single B&W photograph where the aircraft is partially obscured.

* "A", color and Finnish code unknown

We have not supplied the fourth AC because there are no known photographs of it that we know of. Common sense dictates that it would have been coded 'C' simply due to the presence of 'A' 'B' and 'D'

* "C" no known photo up to now

That's all the information we have from this event. If you can shed any further light on this topic, please feel free to post on the SimHQ EAW BB.

Yours LLv34_Doc

30 September 2003

The air festival held at Utti airbase in 1950 must have been a top secret affair :D I have yet to find any other records of this event, and I have been hounding the Finns :blink:

This info helped me, I hope it helps you as well. Some things are just hard to dig up.

One thing is for sure. The instant this model is finished, new and beautiful high resolution photos will be uncovered that show just how "off" this build turned out. Ain't that the way it goes?

I'll post some more pics this weekend.

Cheers~

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Chris and others,

I have recently been sent some new pictures and profiles of the Finnish Racers. I got them from a man from Finland, Seppo Laine, and they are from a Finnish book on the Bf-109G. Have asked for specifics on book but no reply yet. They might help, same picture as before of the A & B Racer and a picture of the D Racer with English text. Also Chris check out the B profile, notice the faded 5 on the tail partly covered with the white/blue checkers, and a profile of D. Awesome stuff. Just lucky enough to sell a couple of things on ebay to Seppo and happened to ask him if he knew anything about the Racers, never hurts to ask, huh? They may be posted individually.

post-4-1078761921.jpg