• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#106 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,593 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

Well, I am saving a lot of money these days.

I have much patience since I already have 1/32 vacuforms of the B-24, B-17, Lancaster, Halifax, Sterling, Wellington, Sm-79, B-29 not to mention the paper card kits of many other large bombers. Also have a built 1/32 solid wood C-47 on floats.  

So I'm in no big hurry to get more biggies. When they come out then maybe I'll get them, maybe not.

But since I have much sculpture to work on and many Vulgarian aircraft to invent, for the time being I'll just prepare my house and workshops for a while. We just moved back in the repaired home three months ago and I have to set up the workshop. Then sort out all the stash and get going on the building. Lots of things to do.

When the Do-17, the A-20, B-26 Marauder, Devastator,  Val, Kate come on the market I'll happily buy them. I still get all the WNW goodies that come out. I already paid in advance for that delicious WW1 Junkers monoplane which may, hopefully arrive some time in the next few months.  I have not even considered building the Hawgwaller and Western railroad in G gauge in my time frame. It will be an outdoor layout so I'll start that in the late spring. Part will be the State Railroad of Vulgaria with all those 1/35 armored trains and railroad guns. Come to think of it, I can work a 40 hour week on these projects and keep myself busy for the next 10 years. 

Fun fun fun  :punk:  

Edited by ssculptor, 09 February 2018 - 04:40 PM.

• harvey likes this
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#107 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:41 PM

Guys, I know we all like shooting off our mouths, me included, but CAD is just BS most of the time. Let's wait for the actual kit because:

1. Never seen it where complaining about CAD images got anything changed in production
  2. Ain't never seen it where the model companies are listening and changing their CAD to conform to our wishes
  3. Half of us can't agree on what is RIGHT about a kit, and the other half can't agree on what's WRONG (e.g., Trumpy P-47 or "unbuildable" Revell Spitfire)

The kit will be out and when it is, it will be what it is. If we don't like it, we won't buy it. But some here will, build great-looking B-24s and we'll admire their abilities and then say "wow, that's a mighty fine-looking B-24."

Tell me I'm wrong.... :fight: :doh: :innocent: :mental:

Edited by Bill Cross, 09 February 2018 - 09:55 PM.

• ssculptor, harvey, Out2gtcha and 4 others like this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#108 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

I agree Bill. Like I said above,I just hope whatever they do, they take their time to get the final product right
  • harvey and Bill Cross like this

#109 CATCplSlade

CATCplSlade

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

Tell me I'm wrong....

I would but for the fact that you're not.
  • Bill Cross likes this

Working on: AIR - Revell Spitfire Mk IIa   LAND - Bandai 1/30 Hummel, Zvezda Mercedes L4500A, Dragon Kubelwagen Ambulance

#110 rigor

rigor

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

Why did someone say. Hope thumps a team is on this. Thought hoddyboss was doing it ?? Did I miss something
  • harvey and Out2gtcha like this

#111 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

Why did someone say. Hope thumps a team is on this. Thought hoddyboss was doing it ?? Did I miss something

Although marketed and boxed as a different "brands" HB and Trumpeter are for all intents and purposes the same company.                        

• harvey and Maxim like this

#112 rigor

rigor

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:17 PM

Never knew that thx Brian. Damn learned something new today. Great my day is shot now. Lol
  • harvey and Out2gtcha like this

#113 Juggernut

Juggernut

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:27 PM

s-l300.jpg

B-24J to H....  I'd be in for a 24J with an Emerson turret (not really knowing at all what it would take to convert a B-24J to an H other than the nose turret).  I luvz me these Zodiac bombers.

138056-10105.jpg

This would be my choice of markings for the B-24D (aka PB4Y-1)

Edited by Juggernut, 09 February 2018 - 11:30 PM.

• ssculptor, harvey and MikeC like this

"You can always tell a pilot.... But you can't tell him much." Pat Malara Sr. (1925 - 1997) USAAC CBI, Owner/Founder, Riverside School of Aeronautics

#114 Dave Roof

Dave Roof

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:18 AM

Guys, I know we all like shooting off our mouths, me included, but CAD is just BS most of the time. Let's wait for the actual kit because:

1. Never seen it where complaining about CAD images got anything changed in production
  2. Ain't never seen it where the model companies are listening and changing their CAD to conform to our wishes
  3. Half of us can't agree on what is RIGHT about a kit, and the other half can't agree on what's WRONG (e.g., Trumpy P-47 or "unbuildable" Revell Spitfire)

The kit will be out and when it is, it will be what it is. If we don't like it, we won't buy it. But some here will, build great-looking B-24s and we'll admire their abilities and then say "wow, that's a mighty fine-looking B-24."

Tell me I'm wrong.... :fight: :doh: :innocent: :mental:

Do you follow any other forums or Facebook? There have been several kits that have been changed prior to production due to feedback received from CAD images. The most recent being the Model Collect 1/72 B-2. They were posting images of CAD drawings on their Facebook page and making changes as issues were found. Kinetic has done it as well as Kittyhawk and many others. The model companies are listening too as many reps from a few of the biggest frequent this and other forums. 

• Alburymodeler, harvey and Bill Cross like this

#115 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:06 AM

Im seriously wondering how close is "close enough" for the B-24.
Regardless of what anyone thinks, Jennings is correct in his assertions about how many variants there really were. Nailing any single one down could be problematic with the number of them, and the amount of experts out there relating to the variant that HB issues, and the scheme they include .  Im hoping this doesn't lead to the kit being crucified. 
There are in fact a number of VERY good "A-Team" HB/Trumpeter kits out there, but as we all know there are also some duds out there. I think the B-24 was so instrumental in the war, and there were so many of them produced, that I really hope that HB takes whatever time they need to get things right. 

Personally, I'd be much less concerned about the individual variant differences, than I would be about things like nacelle shape, wing profile and the like. Even if some minute detail was off, for the particular version HB releases, Id still be much more apt to invest in the kit, VS if some basic air-frame shape was off.

Brian, last year at the Nats, hadn't we all decided that what would be perfect would be a B-24 with a three piece modular fuselage?

Give us a good center section with wing, nacelles, bomb bays, etc. make the nose and tail interchangeable so we now can have the kit manufacturer or aftermarket go to town with the goodies.
We could have everything from a basic A right up to the last of the Privateers with that approach without having to take a saw to anything.
Make the middle right and all is possible.
  • harvey and MikeC like this

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#116 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:13 AM

I'll say this though. My interest in B-17s will rapidly fade with the arrival of the B-24. And even if it's off shape wise, I'll do what I'll have to do to get me a 24.
Glass nose, turret nose, single tail or double, I don't care. Just give me a big Consolidated Liberator.
  • Kagemusha, harvey, Vandy 1 VX 4 and 1 other like this

#117 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,593 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:49 AM

Anyone who wants a Do-17 over the beautiful Lib ain't all there anyway...

I want BOTH. Unnerstand? And I want them now!  :fight:

Or I'll cry. :crying:

• harvey likes this
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#118 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,593 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:51 AM

I'll say this though. My interest in B-17s will rapidly fade with the arrival of the B-24. And even if it's off shape wise, I'll do what I'll have to do to get me a 24.
Glass nose, turret nose, single tail or double, I don't care. Just give me a big Consolidated Liberator.

I'm witchya on that!!!

• harvey likes this
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#119 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:31 AM

Do you follow any other forums or Facebook? There have been several kits that have been changed prior to production due to feedback received from CAD images. The most recent being the Model Collect 1/72 B-2. They were posting images of CAD drawings on their Facebook page and making changes as issues were found. Kinetic has done it as well as Kittyhawk and many others. The model companies are listening too as many reps from a few of the biggest frequent this and other forums. 

I do not so I'm glad to be proven wrong.

But you're also talking about smaller, boutique model companies and not the "bigs." I know of researchers and experts who have offered to help Trumpeter, for example, with accuracy but were turned down or their advice was ignored.

Then there's Dragon who hired one of the world's foremost Tiger tank experts, David Byrden (who incidentally is NOT a modeler) to help them retool their 1/35th kits, so you never know.

Edited by Bill Cross, 10 February 2018 - 04:32 AM.

• harvey likes this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#120 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:59 AM

And Trumpeter DID retool their hideous F4F into something quite decent.

And have made running changes to their Su-27s.

I just think with as important an aircraft as the B-24, and with the price point I'm sure they'll bring, they better have the A+ team on it. Anything less, that's a huge investment to flop.

Edited by Clunkmeister, 10 February 2018 - 06:01 AM.

• Out2gtcha and MikeC like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users